Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 wolf hunting- did I do something wrong? >

wolf hunting- did I do something wrong?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wolf hunting- did I do something wrong?

Old 10-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Spike

Default RE: wolf hunting- did I do something wrong?

Hey Jono. I too live in Manitoba and have had wolves chase deer by my stand. I haven't shot at one - I'm saving my deer tag for a deer. But the wolves are big at least in the eastern part of the province.

And just to put it to rest - it is legal to shoot a wolf if you have an unused deer license in Manitoba.

Sorry to hear you lost him - they make a beautiful trophy.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunted for a few more hours and then get down to retrieve my arrow. I wassurprised to find it wascovered in blood and one muzzy blade was bent really badly. That animal did not act as if it was hit at all! I trailed the wolf for the rest of the day. I tracked the blood trail for over 700 yards. I found three bloody beds(but I don't think I was bumping it).
After sitting in stand for a few more hours after the shot, that critter would've been in one of those beds, dead as a hammer, if you'd hit the vitals. Mark it down as a flesh wound.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm the one that can't read. Too bad for me. lol.

Tom
Old 10-12-2005, 08:56 AM

I don't know anything about wolves, but I can tell you if anyone found out you DIDN'T try to shoot a coyote in the area that I hunt in SD, they'd probably kick you out of the county.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

my cousin shot a coyote 2 yrs ago and we tracked it all afternoon and into the night, we went back out in the morning and found it laying right by and old pond...
we never thought we would find it the next day...he hit it a little far back behind the front shoulders, but it was enough to kill it....
Old 10-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

puch
Did you mean "puke"?
If so, Clarify why.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:07 AM

I thought he meant pooch, or paunch, meaning it was hit in the guts.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:36 AM

Thanks for your responses guys.
My best guess is that I made a flesh wound somewhere in the front part of the chest cavity or neck.Based on the blood/smell of the arrow I don't think I hit the paunch.

For clarification Jennings CMX: You need abig game license to hunt a wolf, but you do not need to tag it.

I really would have liked a wolf skin. I have wolf fur around my winter jacket and it is very warm.
But let me tell you it sure is a rush tracking a wounded wolf by yourself in deep dark woods with only your bow and a sharp knife!
Old 10-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

But let me tell you it sure is a rush tracking a wounded wolf by yourself in deep dark woods with only your bow and a sharp knife!

THat was the 1st thing that came in my head. I bet every sense was on full alert following a wounded wolf trail like that. I might have had to gone for backup from MR Ruger.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:38 PM

Tom I know you have issues with your reading but I think Jearred was making a joke... Least thats the way I took it..LOL

Quick Reply: wolf hunting- did I do something wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.