Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 tonights disgusted hunt >

tonights disgusted hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tonights disgusted hunt

Old 10-10-2005, 06:24 PM

Default tonights disgusted hunt

Well I went to a new place tonight in hopes of finding some nice sign. I followed this old logging road and found about 5 scrapes on it. At the end was this little grassy area with the freshest scrape, looked really fresh! I decided to hunt around those but couldnt find a good spot to climb b/c it was a pine thicket. Finally made my way up a small tree that my stand barely bit into. I was afraid to move around but it was the only spot with a open shot.
Long story short...I grunt about every 15 minutes. It was getting dusky so I decided to pack up. Im getting my stuff together and then turn around to look and see what I thought was movement. I didnt know if it was the darkness or movement, so I hold my bow ready and then here 5 snorts and it takes off. He kinda came back when I was down the tree. It made me mad b/c if I would have waited ONE more MINUTE, I may have ahad a chance. Dont know if it was a buck but I believe it was, it had to have been.

Should I hunt the same area tomorrow but in a different spot?

Sorry I cant tell short stories.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tonights disgusted hunt

That's hunt'in!! I would rest the spot a couple days!!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:31 PM

i say hunt it b/c the same thing happened to me and they always come back

Old 10-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you want me to tell you how many times a situation like this has happened to me? Today I had 4 doe come by at 7:30 am. I waited 2 more hours and then decided to get down and head home. Guess who came within shooting range again after my bow was already 20 feet below me on the ground?

Old 10-10-2005, 07:13 PM

Yeah I feel yall's pain. I just want to kill my first buck so badly and it doesn't seem like it is going to happen.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I grunt about every 15 minutes.
Why???? They're really not into a lot of grunting etc right now. All you're doing is letting everything know somethings up so be extra careful. Really, if you see one and he passes by out of range a grunt may turn him back...but other than that at this time of year stick that grunt tube in your pocket. Early season deer are all about food and bedding. Set up accordingly and you'll see deer. Grunt on your way home.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:29 PM

Say I don't know where the bedding areas are and can't see an active trail but see all these scrapes. I cant set my stand up close to the scrapes b/c there are nothing but pines. The time I get to a tree I can climb how am I supposed to get the buck to me? I can't see the scrapes from the tree I was in. Anyone else grunting this time yet, any success?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

That's tough luck there duc. A lot of things can happen in that
one more minute. I have had the same thing happen to me. Like
someone said let it rest a while and go back after him.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tough call.... I spooked the 8pt i killed the day before in the same spot with a dirt bike and he came back the very next day... about 10 or so mins earlier tho if that makes a difference
Old 10-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

At most I'll grunt once an hour if I'm not seeing deer movement. On occasion it'll bring something in out of curiosity. One thing to remember the more you grunt the better the chance the deer will pinpoint the location where it is coming from. They may end up seeing you before you see them.

Quick Reply: tonights disgusted hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.