Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you all feel the same way?? >

Do you all feel the same way??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you all feel the same way??

Old 10-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do you all feel the same way??

Oh....1 more thing...

Thanks to the original poster of this thread. I needed to write what I did down.

Jeff
Old 10-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

The animal deserves our respect, and a little prayer after the kill. The is a great book called "Know Hunting" it is a great read. The author talks about this and I believe he is right on. Killing of the deer is climax of the excitement, after we all feel a little sad. We do a lot to put ourselves in a position to take a deer. Finally get a chance, we take a deer and we feel sad for taking the deer's life. Why we thank God and say a prayer for the animal. What seperate's us from the Anti's. We all know taking deer help keep deer numbers stable. If numbers become greater than the habitat can support, well then we will see some real death then my friends!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 03:50 PM

Every time. That's normal. I keep hunting because I know it's right. I provide my own food and get to pursue my passion.Ending a lifewill always stir some emotion with me but knowing there is a purpose and that I will be able to place food on my table makes it the right thing to do in my book. Thanks for posting that, at least I know I'm not the only one now.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:46 PM

my first deer was pure excitement, i dont know if it was because it was my first or because i was only 10 years old, or because i was so cold and ready to warm up in the truck, anyway last weekend i killed a basket rack and for the first time i really felt bad, he wasnt allerted to me he was just going on about his business and thwap!! as i stood there with my wife petting his coat, I sincerely felt bad about it, and after i field dressed him i could smell him on my hands for days, rubbling alcohol couldnt take the smell away, but if my pregnant wife and 3 year old daughter get their bellies full on this animal that i took its ok. I just have a lot of respect for the deer, they are magnificent animals.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

Tonight I was fortunate enough to shoot a doe. I had seven deer come to me and I picked out the doe that didnt appear to have any fawns tagging along with her. It wasn't the greatest shot but she only went 75 yards and it was over with. I was full of excitement just like always, but things have changed over the years for me.

I have bowhunted 11 years (27 years old)and for the first 5 or 6, I was just full of excitment and nothing else when I got one, but as the years have gone, with each kill, I'm still excited but I genuinely feel bad for what I have just done. I get up to the deer and see that slick coat, thosebig eyes, wide open and I feel bad and sorry for taking such a beautiful animal. I now find myself saying a prayer after each kill, thanking both the animal and the creator, but there is still a part of me that genuinely feels sad for the animal.

Does anyone else get that feeling I'm talking about?
Yep, I sure do...every single time and sometimes for whatever reason even moreso. I'd be worried if I didn't. Good post!
Old 10-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

I understand. They are a magnificent animal and it makes you think about it
when you make a kill. But I too take a moment and say thanks for the animal.
Its just being respectfull.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I get these feelings less and less as I progress into my hunting carrer.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Great post.I too have these feelings from time to time.Not so much in the stand but maybe later when I replay things in my head.Each time i'm in the stand I try to take the time toask the good Lord to bless me with a good clean kill shot.The biggest thing I feel bad about is the animal suffering.The shorter time he or she is hurting the easier for me.Ofcourse thats much harder when yourbow hunting but the quickest kill shot makes it so much easier in my opinion.I also give my thanks to the Lordfor the harvest.
Another thing that will touch you a little is the pics of the kill.I like the pics where people took the time to honor the deer with a nice photo.Not a tounge hanging out of the mouth covered in blood shot.I'm not putting the people down that may have taken photos such as this I'mjust saying it makes you think.I have taken photos of one of my veryfirst deer similar to this and did'nt really realize howthe deer looked till I got the pics.Now I try and takea cleaner more presentable photo.
Sorry I strecthed this reply on so long.I'mlike some of you others and it's nice to talk about this subject and see what othersfeel about it.Again good post.
JE
Old 10-27-2005, 07:24 PM

I feel the same way. Anytime you take the life of a living creature, I thinks it normal and it shows you care about life and the sport.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

I am going through the same thing you are, it is nice to know other people
feel the same way. Thanks for the great post.