Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Want retirement and hunting land? >

Want retirement and hunting land?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Want retirement and hunting land?

Old 10-09-2005, 09:50 PM

Default RE: Want retirement and hunting land?

Sounds like somebody has jealousy issues. It seems like the onlyserious hunterswho hunt public land, are the people who CAN'T afford their own land.Hell, I'm one of them......for now
Old 10-09-2005, 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: rack tracker

Around here 25 acres and a 4000Sq.Ft. house just sold for 4.3 Mil.

There is a sucker born every minute. Whoever paid that is an idiot.

Are you that near sighted?
Myopia issues aside..............paying $4,000-$8,000 per acre for HUNTING land is just plain stupid and the worst investment ever. Now if you are buying that land with knowledge of a golf course or developer coming in the near future then OK.......still VERY risky..........but OK.

Then again I live in hourse country,
Is that a cross between a house and a horse??

and only have 4.5 acres w/ 3600 sf. house worth 1.2 mil w/ a morgage for 15 more years,
but when I'm done I'll have made my own retirement with a $500,000 investment over 30 years. You do the math! WOW, some people can't see past there right hand!
1.2 mil????.........saying something is worth that........and getting someone to give you that much are two TOTALLY different things

3,600 sq ft is OK size.........and 4.5 acres is not much land at all. I hope you do get that much for it. I guarentee it won't be from me.

I found this place in about 2 minutes on google..........it's a rural area of NY (the state I am from) Figuring the house to be worth about $350,000 and surely asking $725,000 means they would take $700,000 (Probably less) but for good round numbers that means the land cost the other $350,000. Take a good look at the number...........it has 550 acres........that breaks down to about $636 per acre.

Like I said........properties like these can be found easily.........and for WAY less then the figures you guys are talking about.

I would much rather have a nice log home and large pond with 550 acres then 25-100 acres of bare farm land............any day.........but what do I know????.......I can't see past my right hand

http://rusasouthwest.leadmaxx.lantra...istingID=46689
Old 10-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I see it as he picked the land out and always wanted it and finally got it. Turkey, deer and morels obviously makes him happy and this is the piece of land that gives it. There may be better bargains out there but this land is the one that his heart is set on. I'd buy it too. Around here lake front land goes for 1K per foot and there isn't any shortage of people willing to pay for it. Everything is relative and in a few years he will be glad he got his piece of heaven for $1760 per acre. Good going and happy hunting.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Dominant Buck

It's all location location location. $1760 sounds like an awesome price when compared to the areas around where I live.

I was trying to point to those who by property specifically for rental income after retirement. That's what I've been doing.Besides the house and rental income, I'm getting great suburban hunting land.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:50 AM

Land is an excellent investment. That price sounds about right to me at least for around here. Take any accounting, economics, finance classes in college and they will all tell you that cash is kingand thatland is the best thing going. Over time it won't depreciate like other investments, and there is relatively low risk involved versus other investment opportunites. Take into effect, the fact that you are a hunter and that you will enjoy YOUR land for many years to come and your land has now become priceless. You are leaving something tangible for your son and his sons and for that I applaud you. Enjoy it....but quit talking about those morels....you are making me hungry.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

You want expensive?

Try to buy some land in the mountains of Colorado. Last time I checked it was $10,000 - 30,000 per acre depending on where it was and how much of it was useable.
It's that much here in Southern Indiana , and that's for undeveloped land ! My property is 10 acres of woods with an 1,800 sq ft house and it cost 100K .
Old 10-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

You want expensive?

Try to buy some land in the mountains of Colorado. Last time I checked it was $10,000 - 30,000 per acre depending on where it was and how much of it was useable.
It's that much here in Southern Indiana , and that's for undeveloped land ! My property is 10 acres of woods with an 1,800 sq ft house and it cost 100K .
Geez what a bargain. Don't move to New England. Around here about the only thing you can get for under 150K is a trailer on a small owned lot. Average small 3 bedroom ranch starter home in a sub division is 200K or so. I can't imagine how someone who is just starting out can even get a home.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

$1,750/acre is a great price. In WV, the price of land is $2k to $4kand can be rather steep with no electric or water. Over time, land is a great investment because they can't make any more of it and there are more and more people in this country every day. It could be that the real estate bubble will pop and go down some, but I guarantee you that 10 years from now, that same piece of land will be considerably more than $1,750/acre.

Good luck with the place!
Old 10-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlasman, remember prices fluctuate depending on region. Also with your google example you list 550 acres. When buying large blocks of land the cost per acre is normally much less. Land investors who can afford hundreds, or thousands of acres are going to pay less, per acre, than the person buying 1,3,5,10, or 25 acres. So you're not comparing apples to apples. In in VA we have lots of people from up north (stinkin' Yankees ) who have retired and sold their homes up north and moving down here and buying bigger houses and lots of land at what they feel is a great deal (and driving up everyone elses housing costs to boot). At the same time I can go find some timbered land in the middle of nowhere in this state and find land for $800 an acre or less.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ooooh morels! It sucks that I only have about 10 dozen left to last me until next May. Those are all dehydrated. Fresh are better, but I have to dehydrate or freeze to make last throughout the year. If any of you haven't ever tried them, you don't know what you are missing. My favorite are the little greys, but the large yellows are the most abundant. Now see what you done Shootnmiss, I'm hungry too and will have to rehydrate some for dinner. Now I'll only have 9 dozen left.

Quick Reply: Want retirement and hunting land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.