Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 All by myself... >

All by myself...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All by myself...

Old 10-07-2005, 07:43 AM

Default All by myself...

Okay, so tonight will be my first hunt by myself... I'm a little nervous, as I posted in the Midwest forum, I have never had to walk out at night by myself... the dark woods is a little intimidating to me, I don't know why and I wish it wasn't but usually my husband comes and gets me out of my stand or meets me before I have to walk through the woods, not tonight, he will be home with the kids, so it's just me.

I know once I do it once or twice I will be okay, but WHY is it so hard for me to get over it? I feel like a pathetic hunter because of it, I love to hunt, I will walk through the woods all day in the daylight, but at night, I hate not being able to see what's around me... any suggestions or ideas? Is this normal? Any of the other women hunters ever had to overcome this fear? I wasn't raised in the woods, so this is something that takes a lot out of me to even ATTEMPT!
Old 10-07-2005, 07:59 AM

Default RE: All by myself...

ORIGINAL: Buck Huntin Girl

Okay, so tonight will be my first hunt by myself... I'm a little nervous, as I posted in the Midwest forum, I have never had to walk out at night by myself... the dark woods is a little intimidating to me, I don't know why and I wish it wasn't but usually my husband comes and gets me out of my stand or meets me before I have to walk through the woods, not tonight, he will be home with the kids, so it's just me.

I know once I do it once or twice I will be okay, but WHY is it so hard for me to get over it? I feel like a pathetic hunter because of it, I love to hunt, I will walk through the woods all day in the daylight, but at night, I hate not being able to see what's around me... any suggestions or ideas? Is this normal? Any of the other women hunters ever had to overcome this fear? I wasn't raised in the woods, so this is something that takes a lot out of me to even ATTEMPT!
Im a guy and I hate when i have to walk in the woods in the dark.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Hey, the darkisn't something that only women are afraid of; I know some guys that won't walk through the dark woods without apolicemen size Maglightguiding them to their tree!

I get a little nervous myself sometimes, and I've been walking to my spots alone for 12 years. New hunting spots do it to. A lot of it for me is the fact that I'm only carrying a bow, if I'm toting my rifle, I'll go anywhere in the dark. But yea, there's always noises and stuff that spook me, but I always try and tell myself "there's nothing out here that can eat me." I laugh about it, and carry on.

I will say that the scariest moment I had in the woods was hearing a bobcat crying. It scared me so bad, I left the woods, leaving behind the buck I shot, which was the first buck I ever took with a bow. I later returned with help.........."brave" help..
Old 10-07-2005, 08:10 AM

Nah, it's perfectly normal-----, for a girl!Jk, of course. As you face your fear, and make yuor way out a few times , your confidence will grow. Take a good flashlight, and make a sound or 2 occasionally, and it'll help. Take your cellpone and talk to hubby on the way out as well.I don't get nervous about the dark woods, but when I hunt this area where I have gotten some pics of a 4-500 lbs bear, I get nervous about a freindly encounter with it! So, I carry a flashlight, where normally I would be Elmer Fudding it, you know, be very very quiet, and I normally like to slip in and out of the woods undetected. But, the experts say that camo, and stealthful approaches, in woods with bear, account for many of the surprised close encounters with bear.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:10 AM

Just remember that most of everything out there is more scared of you and they don't want anymore of a confrontation than you do. Use a small light to help see. Hope this helps
Old 10-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

something my dad told me when I was 7 and he senT me out on a trap line in the dark.
( REMEMBER SON THERE AINT NO ONE UGLIER OR SCARY AS YOU)
Old 10-07-2005, 09:25 AM

LMAO...Cardeer I think me and you might be related. Sounds like something my dad would say. But anyone that says they dont get nervous when walking to their stand is a liar. To this day I still jump 50ft high when an armadillo jumps from under my feet. Just remember that they are more scared of you then you are of them.+
Old 10-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know I may get jumped on for saying this.Alot of people say to walk in as quiet as possible to not spook any game on the way to your stand,but,If your scared and dont really like the dark,take a flashlite and walk in hap hazardly.Whistle or sing quietly your favourite toon.This will put a little smile on your face,and take all the scarry thoughts out of your head.
I dont mind walking in the dark,been doing it for alot of years now,and know there is nothing out there that is going to get me.Now dont get me wrong,there have been a few times when I have been "spooked"like coyotes hunting in the distance,sending goosebumps on my neck.Especially when they are right on top of ya.Funniest times is when you are walking in and a partridge flys out of a tree when you are like feet from it.Scares the crap out of ya.Once you realize what it was,you just start laughing out loud and continue on.
Your mind plays games on ya when its dark.If you cant see what the noise is then you just assume the worst.No different then the day time when that little raccoon is waddling through the leaves,squirells rummiging for nuts or whatever.Remember you are the boss the #1 predator in the woods,who is going to mess with you.
Another thought.Its big and clumsly,but take in a big coleman lantern.This will give you sufficient lite and feel like you are walking in during the daylite.
Good luck---let us know how you make out and hopefully it all comes together.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:42 AM

Buck Huntin Gal.....Manuman has a great idea....talk on cell on way out.
I hunt primarily in the woods and have for the last 10 years....carrying my 270..I would tell myself..."I'm the one with the GUN!" Then about 3 years ago I started bow hunting.....it's a little different and sometimes I get nervous. Last weekend I was in a new area and had deer all around me but could not get a shot....Nice 8pt, does, fawns....great fun...but I stayed in my stand until I had no light left so as not to spook them. They finally took off and there I was. Crap! Not a happy walk but it sure was a fast one! You'll be fine...we're big girls. Good Luck hunting.
Diann
Old 10-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Just remember there is nothing out there in the dark that wasn't there in the daylight. The woods are the same peaceful place they were the last time the sun was above the horizon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.