HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - All by myself...
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:41 AM
extreme1
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All by myself...

I know I may get jumped on for saying this.Alot of people say to walk in as quiet as possible to not spook any game on the way to your stand,but,If your scared and dont really like the dark,take a flashlite and walk in hap hazardly.Whistle or sing quietly your favourite toon.This will put a little smile on your face,and take all the scarry thoughts out of your head.
I dont mind walking in the dark,been doing it for alot of years now,and know there is nothing out there that is going to get me.Now dont get me wrong,there have been a few times when I have been "spooked"like coyotes hunting in the distance,sending goosebumps on my neck.Especially when they are right on top of ya.Funniest times is when you are walking in and a partridge flys out of a tree when you are like feet from it.Scares the crap out of ya.Once you realize what it was,you just start laughing out loud and continue on.
Your mind plays games on ya when its dark.If you cant see what the noise is then you just assume the worst.No different then the day time when that little raccoon is waddling through the leaves,squirells rummiging for nuts or whatever.Remember you are the boss the #1 predator in the woods,who is going to mess with you.
Another thought.Its big and clumsly,but take in a big coleman lantern.This will give you sufficient lite and feel like you are walking in during the daylite.
Good luck---let us know how you make out and hopefully it all comes together.