Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My season is probably ruined before it even started >

My season is probably ruined before it even started

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My season is probably ruined before it even started

Old 10-07-2005, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My season is probably ruined before it even started

I just found out last night that our hunting land/lease is getting timbered. There is a two lane gravel road that runs right through the middle of our property. There are 4-5 peices of heavy equiptment setting on top of the property..[:@]

I live in KY and I have to buy out a non resident license in order to hunt in WV. If they decide to start cutting right away, I do not think it will be worth my time and money to make the trip. I have no where else to hunt. I have only lived in KY for a short period of time an I do not know anyone, or any places to hunt.

It appears that my season my be ruined!!!

Old 10-07-2005, 06:33 AM

Default RE: My season is probably ruined before it even started

How big is the property? Its possible they wont start cutting right away. I would contact the company and find out when the plan on starting. Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I hope it works out and/or you find an alternative.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:35 AM

see if some mines will let you hunt their land. Buddy of mine lived in Williamston, Wva...worked for one of the mines. Killed a nice buck out that way- also saw alot of game on the property.

Sometimes too...the deer will be attracted to the fresh cut tree tops....they can't cut all the property at once...so look for some travel routes on the outskirts of the property.

Good luck..

B.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is there an area that you can hunt near where they are going to be cutting? Two years ago I took 3 deer right on the edge of where they were cutting trees. Good Luck.

Tom
Old 10-07-2005, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

The property is only about 185 acres. We knew there was a chance they would cut, but bringing the equiptment in 1 week before season just took all of the excitement out for me.

I'm am going to call them today to find out when the cutting is going to begin. If they are only opening the roads up now to let them settle we may salvage the season.............Man this sucks!!! I had the deer patterned, I knew where the bed, where they fed and how they traveled. Who knows how their habits have changed now.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is there no state land that you can get on. You can always come home, you can get your out of state license any time here.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:18 AM
Spike

In my experience timbering happens after the leaves fall. Most companies harvest in late december and early Jan. But, there is a shortage on lumber. I hope they are just staging, if that is the case I bet you have only a couple of weeks. Also, they might not be clear cutting, they might select cut... which means they will take select trees... not as bad. Also,on a long term basis... when a company clear cuts the regrowth is awesome for Deer! Hey, is this land located near crop land? If so, the timber equipment will sound like just another tracter. Except when they cut.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

As long as they are selective cutting, I wouldn't worry. I had that situation a couple years back. Shot a real nice buck in sight of the running skidder. It helped that it was the rut, but deer get used to loggers quick and even just hunting the edges away from them a hundred or 2 hundred yards should still salvage your season.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:25 AM

I thought that this would be a bad thing one time when the same thing happen to me, butI went anyways just to see if there was anything in there well turns out the deer were roaming all over the place feeding on the tops. Deer are kind of curious.So go and give it a try you got nothing to lose.

Good Luck
Old 10-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: My season is probably ruined before it even started

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.