Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 apples, corn, beets and carrots?? >

apples, corn, beets and carrots??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

apples, corn, beets and carrots??

Old 10-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default apples, corn, beets and carrots??

anybody have has been seeing where the deer haven't been touchin the bait u put out?? they just eat the acorns and none of the bait and it rots...anybody else havin this problem and how can i get deer over the my stand...thers acorns round the tree but no deer...[&:]
Old 10-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: apples, corn, beets and carrots??

are those items that the deer are used to smelling and eating?
i know i can't use apple flavored or scented stuff cause we don't have them around here...maybe it's the same thing with you.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

move your stand to where the preffered food is - that's what I'd do.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:28 PM

I would move my stand also.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:23 AM

Deer usually will not touch the bait till the acorns are gone.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

bigunwhistle
Date 10/6/2005 1:23:38 AM

Deer usually will not touch the bait till the acorns are goneI have to totally disagree with you on that one. On Sunday I had placed about 5 gallons of older apples near my stand along with some corn as well. Within 24 hours everything was totally gone. We have an abundant acron crop this year as well as a few corn fields plantes as well. Deer will eat what ever is there for them to eat. I would say he may want to move his stand. Is he using a food source that is not normally available through out the year? There are many factors thatmay be playing a roll in his problem. Just because he is baiting doesnt mean the deer are going to hit it? I would say use the resources available to you. Move the stand where you knowyou have good deer movement. Just off an access road through the woods is a great place to set up a stand this time of the year. If you can get the does in,they may bring the bucks in, but nothing works 100% when hunting. Another thing, dont use too much bait, the deer may become noctornal. I normally use only 2 gallons if that,which is regulated in Wi. I use it as a treat more than a bait. Make the deer find the treat, not the meal.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Deer usually will not touch the bait till the acorns are gone.
I would agree to an extent. I would think that it depends on the type of bait and the amount of mast crop we are talking about.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:43 AM
Fork Horn

Here in southcentral Michigan, white oak acorns are the food of choice. Unfortunately I have many more red oaks, but where I have stands of white oak, the deer will eat their acorns over any other available food source.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that white oaks are the number one draw for deer in my area and want to add that some white oaks are better than other white--it comes down to certain trees that produce better than others of the same species.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:19 AM

Affirmative on that one. I had been keeping a bag of carrots down in my general area as a treat. Initially they were hammering it. Once the acorns started dropping, there was no more partaking of the treat. Now once the snow flies, that is a different story altogether.

Quick Reply: apples, corn, beets and carrots??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.