Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone go back to finger shooting? >

Anyone go back to finger shooting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone go back to finger shooting?

Old 10-05-2005, 09:45 AM
Spike

Default Anyone go back to finger shooting?

My first year of Archery/Bowhunting was spent shooting with fingers. I was not able to achieve the consistency that I wanted, so I purchased a release several months ago.

My consistency improved substantially although I also learned that there are ways to cause problems such as torquing the string when using a release. Overall, though, I liked the release for target shooting.

However, once I got into the tree stand and needed to adapt to various odd angles, I was uncomfortable with the release. Also, I did not enjoy having another piece of equipment dangling from my wrist or, worse still, falling out of my pocket once I was up in the tree stand.

I am switching back to finger shooting: a minor adjustment to the sights and I am back on target (no centershot or other adjustment was necessary).

I think that the release was a very good training tool: it eliminated certain variables in my form so that I could concentrate on other aspects like the all important follow-through discipline. I also discovered that I was using the wrong arrows cut to the wrong length: selecting the correct arrows from the Easton chart resulted in much better consistency with both release and fingers.

After a brief work-out this morning on the archery range I was able to shoot more consistently than I ever could before using the release and just as consistently with fingers as with the release.

The only significant limitation that I can see to shooting with fingers is the ATA length. I am shooting a Hoyt Magnatech with a 38" ATA: if I buy a new bow someday I would not want to go with anything less.

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Anyone go back to finger shooting?

No, not personally. Typically when someone goes back to fingers from a release they also go to shooting traditional equipment...at least in my limited experience. I haven't really heard of anyone going back to fingers and using a compound.