Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you eat the deer liver or kidneys? >

Do you eat the deer liver or kidneys?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you eat the deer liver or kidneys?

Old 10-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default Do you eat the deer liver or kidneys?

Saw the post on the deer heart and got me thinking. I know people eat the liver and kidneys too. Personally I haven't eaten the heart, liver or kidneys but know a guy that does. So does anyone eat it or have a great way too cook them up?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:06 AM

Default RE: Do you eat the deer liver or kidneys?

I would eat the heart but never the liver or kidneys. The liver and kidneys function in getting rid of toxins and such (at least in the human body). I would never want to eat something that serves that function.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:17 AM

I would probably just stick with the heart which I am yet to try but soon will. I like some chicken liver.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

The heart is fantastic when it is cleaned, sliced thin, dusted with Lawry's, garlic powder, and pepper then cooked on the grill. As for the liver, slice it thin (1/4") wash the slices in cold water and soak them in milk over night. The next daytake them out and rinse them thoroughly in cold water and pat them dry. Next fry a pound of bacon until it is crispy, take it out of the pan and set it aside, saving the grease. Then, take the liver slices and coat them well in flour and your favorite seasonings, heat the bacon grease over medium/high heat and start putting the strips of liver in the pan. Add a whole onion or two sliced thin to theliver asit is cooking. When the liver is cooked, crumble the bacon over the whole pan. Serve with rice or potatos. It is very good.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Kidneys are great..just throw them in water and boil the piss out of them.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

I won't eat filters , and those are the worst of the bunch . [:'(]
Kidneys are just nasty , and for those who think liver is good for you consider this: The liver is the organ that manufactures cholesterol . [:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 10-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

I have eaten the heart. I wasn't sure how to prepare it.A couple of old timers told me to boil it. I boiled the hell out of it (Kinda stunk up the apt)and ate it cold, sliced thin on sandwiches. Pretty good!
Old 10-04-2005, 11:12 AM

Grandma pickled the heart. We don't care for the liver too much and I generally leave the kidneys. Have cooked both for the cats though. I do love pickled deer heart.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The heart is very tasty. We usually season and boil it. I've not tried the liver or kidney but plan to.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, on this one either though a couple of my hunting buddies' dads and uncles do. I just don't have the stomach for such things.

Quick Reply: Do you eat the deer liver or kidneys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.