Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 makin artifical scrapes >

makin artifical scrapes

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

makin artifical scrapes

Old 10-02-2005, 07:31 PM

Default makin artifical scrapes

i was wondering if any of yall could tell me how to do this or maybe or tell me of somewhere where i could get this information,,,also what do u do when makin a scrape that u think makes it more productive???
Old 10-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: makin artifical scrapes

I usually find a decent trail and then break off to one side or the other. When walking to the spot I'm making a scrape, tie a piece of cloth to a walking stick or cane and put some deer urine on it to cover up your human scent. If you go to Gander Mtn./ Bass Pro/Cabela's or even Wal-mart they have that scrape in a bottle stuff, just clear a patch on the ground, try to do it under a decent sized sapling and dump that stuff around, then break one of the small branches above your scrape spot so that it hangs down at a 90 degree angle
Old 10-02-2005, 08:37 PM

I picked up an ultimate scrape dripper today from Wal-Mart. It was around $20 and had the dripper, scent, and a booklet that tells you pretty much all you need to know about making mock scrapes. I read it and it's pretty interesting reading, I'd suggest going out and buying the scrape dripper with the booklet which should be at Wal-Mart, Cabelas, most likely anyplace that carries hunting geat, or finding a way to just get the booklet. It pretty much tells you all you need to know as long as you look past them trying to promote all their products.

http://www.cabelas.com/products/Cpod0004709.jsp

Paul
Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 PM

Best thing to use in a mock or real scrape is your own urine. Just let it go and come back in a day or 2 and it will be tore up. Down knock it if you have not tried it.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:08 PM

Heres some advice . If your gonna get into the scents and stuff . Check walmart after huntin season . They have all that stuff on clearance . Now , I personally wouldnt buy the actual scents because they do go bad and loose there potency . But your drippers and wicks and stuff will be at least half price .

As far as the scrape . Definatley want it by a sapling or a overhanging branch thats at least chest level . The deer will rub their glands and lick the branch . Now dont go tying your dripper right on that branch it will defeat the purpose . The trick is to keep your scent away from anywhere near the scrape .

I have heard of people urinateing on the scrapes themselve and they claim it works . I have never tried it , but on the other hand i dont doubt that it would work .