Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Busted again!

Old 10-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Busted again!

For the second time this season, I was busted by a deer moving in towards my stand.

The first time, a doe walked in downwind on the side of the tree my stand was on, made a slight movement and she saw me (didn't run off, but became very cautious and moved out of range).

The second time (this morning), I had a doe walk within 15 yards of my stand. As she passed between me and the tree my stand was on, I tried to draw trying to catch her as she moved into my shooting lane. She must have seen me cause she snorted and high tailed it out of there.

I am fourtunate to be hunting witha couple of experienced hunters, so hopefully they can give me some tips on not being seen as the deer moves in. Any tips from you guys on the forum?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone this season.
Rick C.

Old 10-01-2005, 04:13 PM

Default RE: Busted again!

I like to put my stands on a tree with cedar or other pine close by. Hollow out enough of the ever green to allow movement with out getting hung up. I have had a ot better luck since I shifted my priority from being the ideal distance from a trail, to using trees that dont drop all of their leaves or have other cover.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

wel you know where they are so why are you on there trail?? move your stand 25 yards off it and watch the weather,,,, if there downwind nothing can help you! have a few stands or a climber! strategic placement! if a doe gets that close bucks are a mile away when they smell you!
Old 10-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

My biggest suggestion is just to have patience when it comes time to move. Trying to force an opportunity is worse than not taking it some times. Also, if you are getting busted by deer that you don't see then I would suggest always thinking that a deer may be watching you when you move around in your stand. That should prohibit any sudden movements that might alert deer.

Ofcourse, there is also the issue of your stand placement. If you are silhouetted or just plain stick out like a sore thumb up in your stand then the deer will pick you off relatively easily.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:30 PM

Rick

What type camo are you wearing ??
Old 10-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

I'm using mossy oak breakup, nothing special, just some stuff I got from cabelas.

-Rick C.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

My biggest suggestion is just to have patience when it comes time to move. Trying to force an opportunity is worse than not taking it some times. Also, if you are getting busted by deer that you don't see then I would suggest always thinking that a deer may be watching you when you move around in your stand. That should prohibit any sudden movements that might alert deer.

Ofcourse, there is also the issue of your stand placement. If you are silhouetted or just plain stick out like a sore thumb up in your stand then the deer will pick you off relatively easily.
I think that I am trying to force the opportunity instead of waiting for the right moment to draw. This is my third year hunting, haven't got one yet but every time out in the woods is a learning experience. Thanks for your suggestions.

-Rick C.