Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 this mornings hunt >

this mornings hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

this mornings hunt

Old 09-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default this mornings hunt

What a morning, went out behind our construction shop, its only 10 acres in a highly developed area, not what you would consider prime deer hunting territory. There are a couple of warehouses and other manufacturing type buildings close vacinity. Across the street is a small golf course and a small airport. Other than my property, the golf course and airport, there are really any big woods in the area. That being said, i know that MONSTERS get shot off the airport every year, but that is private property and only the people who work there can hunt there. I set up a stand on a massive run, and went in there for the first time this morning. The guys who work in the shop have been telling me they have seen some really big deer this year, so i was excited. Long story short, i didnt get my buck, but i did have 10 doe come in on me along with 2 fox. The two fox were travelling with the doe, but after about 5 minutes, the largest doe chased the fox off. I have never seen that before, so as you can probably guess, i was pumped up. Now its only a matter of time before the big boy comes out to play, and ill be there waiting for him.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: this mornings hunt

Awesome... get back out there and get him
Old 09-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Schweet!
Old 09-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that sounds very similar to some hunting grounds right by my house. There is a nice little golf course and a municipal airport right on the edge of some decent hunting land. The land was formerly used as a strip mine many years ago but has since been abandoned. It's now a haven for turkey and deer.

The only problem I have is accessing the woods. In order for me to get from my house to this spot I'd literally have to walk down the street through my housing development for about 1/8th mile until I reach a little community park. Once I reach that park I have to walk another 1/8th mile through the park and into the woods. It wouldn't be such a bad deal if it wasn't a highly residential community. I could only imagine the looks from people whilewalking down the street in full camo with my treestand and bow. Or better yet, trying to haul a deer back to my house. [&:]
Old 09-30-2005, 09:12 AM

Get the cheapo Stealth cam and set it up out there. Then you'll see what kind of bucks are really there. The oft overlooked small urban forests can be absolute goldmines.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: JeramyK
The only problem I have is accessing the woods. In order for me to get from my house to this spot I'd literally have to walk down the street through my housing development for about 1/8th mile until I reach a little community park. Once I reach that park I have to walk another 1/8th mile through the park and into the woods. It wouldn't be such a bad deal if it wasn't a highly residential community. I could only imagine the looks from people whilewalking down the street in full camo with my treestand and bow. Or better yet, trying to haul a deer back to my house. [&:]
Have somebody drop you off so you aren't so visible. Then if you get one down, wait until after dark to pull it out. If I had access to something like that, I'd put up with a little inconvenience to take advantage of it.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

YUP, they were really moving this AM. I haven't been able to get out but did sneak out this AM. I saw 3 different bucks and 11 other deer. I could have shot a couple of the smaller bucks and a couple does. OF course the buck I wanted to shoot never got closer than 60 yards. I had deer come from 3 different directions this AM. Everytime they got near me the wind shifted directions. It blew from NW, SWall the way around to from the East at various times. ABout the time I started getting in my shot mode one of the deer would get a whiff and start stretching the necksniffing the air. It was frustrating for sure. Never have I been detected so much by so many from so many different directions. BUT, I did see lots of deer in a couple hours.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now see David if you had one of those fancy schmancy Scent Lok Suits you would've been safe.[8D]
Old 09-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Deer do seem to inhabit some of the most unlikely places. This story is a perfect example. I wish you luck in getting a buck there this season.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:05 PM

Good luck i hope you get him.