Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broadhead Problem >

Broadhead Problem

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Problem

Old 09-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Broadhead Problem

Hello All,

I got a problem that I need some help with. I just bought some Muzzy 100s, 4 blade. When I tread the blades onto my arrows there is a gap between the ferrel and the arrow. Is that supposed to happen? I am using carbon arrows specifically Carbon Express 350's.

I had some thunder heads before these and it came with shims. Do I just have the wrong version of the muzzy's or do I need to get some of those shims. Could there be something wrong with the threaded inserts that are in my arrows?

Thanks
Tom
Old 09-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broadhead Problem

If I get you right you are saying your Muzzy's won't screw into the insert all the way, correct? It's possible that some glue got into the threads in which case all you need to do is run an 8x32 tap in the insert to clean the threads. OR, maybe you got a bad batch of inserts.

Very seldom does anybody screw up the broadheads but it can happen. Compare the length of the threaded portion to your field points to see if they are too long.

If it's not too bad you might be able to just get a batch of nylon washers to put behind the heads.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

So are you telling me that the inserts don't terminate? When I look down the arrow shaft I can see clearly all the way through so I don't see any glue down there. I am however getting a residue on the tip of the ferrel which I believe is glue. I can thread a field point all the way down but it takes a bit of effort.

Tom
Old 09-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

How long are the threads on the field points as compared to the threads on the Muzzy's? It might be that the b-heads have longer threads and they are either getting caught up in some excess glue that is further down the insert...or maybe the insert isn't deep enough for the b-head. I kind of doubt the second choice but it could be. If you can, pull one of the inserts out of the arrow so you can look at it from all angles. That will prolly be the best way to diagnose the problem.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am going to the Archery shop today. Hopefully I will be able to get some help. The season in Michigan starts this Saturday.

Tom
Old 09-29-2005, 06:34 AM

I use Thunderhead #100 and they come with a rubber washer that stops between the ferrel and the broadhead which eliminates any gap that may occur.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:04 AM

. I am however getting a residue on the tip of the ferrel which I believe is glue. I can thread a field point all the way down but it takes a bit of effort
statjunk yes and you got glue in the threads you need to run a tap down through it and clean the glue out. do like bigfisher says.

run an 8x32 tap in the insert to clean the threads.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tom,

Run the tap through. Looking down the insert is a waste except for you to just get a look-see. What little glue is keeping the broadheads from seating is not going to be visible to the naked eye. It only takes a little and it's clear anyway.