Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question on Deer Feeder >

Question on Deer Feeder

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on Deer Feeder

Old 09-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question on Deer Feeder

Hey Gang.....I need some input....We have a deer feeder out where i hunt behind my house. The property is only 10 acres and backs up to public land. The deer were nailing the corn before the bow season started during the daylight hours. However, after opening day(in which we took two does), we have only been seeing nocturnal deer movement at the feeder. I put my game camera on the feeder to see what was coming in and they are still hitting it hard but only at night. No doubt they caught on to us! Here is my question......is there anyway to get them to come in again during daylight? Would it help if i disconnected the feeder for a couple of weeks and then put it back on again in a couple of weeks? I have stayed out of the area and have been hunting a couple other pieces of land but this has not seemed to help yet. Thanks!!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:25 AM

Default RE: Question on Deer Feeder

Interesting. I would set the feeder to spin out corn at 7-8AM in the morning rather than in the late afternoon or evening hours. This way, they might still be lingering close by in the early hours to hear the food and you might be able to re-train them. Let me know how this works out...very interesting. Otherwise, I would let the feeder rest for a week or so and stop all hunting during that time to calm the deer down.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

I have the feeder spinning one time a day at 5:00am. They are not touching it all day and then they nail it at night.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:49 AM

You may not be able to get them back into a daylight feeding pattern because of the pressure from the public land . i would pattern the deer see what time they are coming in and what trails they come and go on if they leave in early morn right before daylight try and be set up on the trail. or if they come in at dark try and be on the incoming trail far enough away to catch them early.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:47 PM

Like SQ2 said, you can spin it out in the morning and they wont touch it until that night. I saw in Cabelas that they have a trough feeder that has a retractable top that only opens during the day. Prety expensive but might be what you need.