Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How to control buck fever >

How to control buck fever

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to control buck fever

Old 09-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How to control buck fever

Pick a spot. Dont rush your shot. I am personally hunting with a back tension release this year.

Another thing you can do to help is shoot some intense 3d tournaments.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

i've only been huntin for 6 years but i never really getit that bad just on occasion....usually it all happens to quick for me..my very first deer was a 180 pound doe wich was pretty big to me as i've never seen one that big of bodied...she came all the way down the hill but it was cold out which i think helped me .. i raised up the gun and that was all she wrote...now for the bow... my does so far i dont see them till there in range because of the woods i hunt ... my buck was over in a matter of a minute it all came so fast... but the only way i get it is when i see a buck no matter whether hes small or big but when i sit and watch him come in for a long time thats what gets me goin...i just concentrate hard behind the shoulder and let my arrow fly.. it all happens so quick its after when i start to shake..
its an awesome feeling and i hope it never fades.. good luck!
Old 09-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

One other thing I forgot to mention. When in a tree and when preparing for a shot, I try to brace myself somehow. It keeps you from shaking and if you get a little nervous you can steady yourself. One way I do it is to always stick my butt out and brace it against the tree. This stabilizes you, reduces shaking and also makes you bend at the waist. I also brace against the seat if I have one. I also use a bow holster that I keep the bow in until I'm ready to draw. Takes the strain off the arms and reduces nervousness.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Doefever

it's OK to get excited! That's part of the fun. When I stop getting excited I guess I'll put down the bow and and take up cooking or something else
I quit cooking for the excitement of bow hunting......can't beat....getting excited is one of the best parts!!
Old 09-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good point, and one thing I forgot to mention is: You don't have to shoot everything that comes thru your set up. Let the does and small bucks mill around and let em walk. You will get really used to how they act and learn to calm yourself down to. Good luck
Old 09-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

KILL MORE
Old 09-27-2005, 06:34 PM

There is nothing else I have ever done that equals the hunting rush. Once I decide a deer is a shooter, I don't look directly at the horns and keep silently telling myself that it's just another deer over and over. This calms me enough to get through the shot. I hope I never lose this excitement.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:42 PM

i dont know if it is natruall or what but before the shoot i am very calm,,alittle wobbly in the legs and my heart get to racing but i still and very calm,,,then after i realese that arrow,,excitment(or the dreaded frustion of a miss) takes over and i have to sit down cause my legs get so weak and i start beathing real heavy and as others have said it is the best feeling in the world and that is the reason that i love to hunt is for the thrill of the hunt,,
Old 09-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Experience will help quite a bit.As already suggested harvesting as many doe's as the law allows lends itself to taking the butterflys away.For me passing up smaller bucks has also lent itself to me being calmer when I have an opportunity at a bigger buck.
I have found that if I can make sure that I am warm it helps to keep the tension out of my body.If I have a bit of a chill and I get excited I am much more prone to shiver.This also may sound funny but I will use any mental trick I can to occupy my focus,I will keep telling myself it is no big deal it is just a doe with horns.The best thing for me is to completely focus on my form and shot execution,if your form and execution are good,your shot will go where it is supposed to.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made myself sick on Saturday. I missed 2 different does. One was a challenging shot at 34 yards, and the other was muchcloser, but just about at last light. I missed both shots clean, but I know that at the range or on the 3D course I would have nailed both of those shots 10 out of 10 times. I went to the range the next day figuring that I must have knocked my sights off, but no such luck. I was shooting great. Kept my pin at the same 25 yard setting, was nailing the bull at 20, 30 and 10 yards. Moved to an elevated stand and shot broadheads at 30, right on. I was never so upset at shooting good, people at the range must have thought I was nuts. Anyway, I hope I learned something about myself and will NOT miss again.

Quick Reply: How to control buck fever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.