Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let 'em go and let 'em grow >

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Old 01-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

My question was intended for the HNI Bowhunting contest. Atlas, you harvested a button buck first...correct? According to our contest the first buck you harvest is the buck that is entered in the contest. Am I wrong?I just re-read the rules and it seems to methat you entered a second buck in the contest?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

This is a topic that will be debated forever. Personally, I feel that trophy hunting is something that you evolve into. In the beginning you are happy with any deer, then it's any buck, then you begin to set standards for yourself. I have been targeting mature 3.5 year old or older animals for the last 7 years or so. At first it was very hard to watch those 2 year olds cruise by in easy bow range, but then I began to really enjoy it. I always look forward to seeing him again next year and wonder how much he will grow. I now am full force on the band wagon for qdm, but it's hard to blame someone for not being as far along in the evolution as I am. I have arrowed 4 P&Y's in the last 5 years and have also eaten a few buck tags but that is a big part of it. You have to put your ego aside for the betterment of the deer herd. I now don't understand why a guy can't hold out for a mature doe(which is a VERY wary and dificult to harvest animal) instead of shooting those little guys. If I would have known about qdm years ago I would have changed my ways back then. Another point I would like to make is that the excuse that "I hunt on public ground so I have to shoot the first buck I see" That is a bunch of crap!!!! I too hunt public ground and always pass up lesser bucks. The public ground around here is full of good deer, onejust has to be patient. Oh yeah, I will leave you with this question, How many meat hunters do you know would pass up a bruiser because they are meat hunting? It goes both ways.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: shed33

My question was intended for the HNI Bowhunting contest. Atlas, you harvested a button buck first...correct?
Incorrect.

I just re-read the rules and it seems to methat you entered a second buck in the contest?
The rules are correct...........you are not.

Am I wrong?
Yes.

Old 01-04-2006, 05:58 PM

My question was intended for the HNI Bowhunting contest. Atlas, you harvested a button buck first...correct? According to our contest the first buck you harvest is the buck that is entered in the contest. Am I wrong?I just re-read the rules and it seems to methat you entered a second buck in the contest?
You read a 22 page thread on QDM and the first thing that came to your mind was to nark on me for a perceived (incorrectly by the way) violation of the rules in a for fun online contest??

Wow.

You probably should know what you are talking about before you imply that someone is either lying or cheating
Old 01-04-2006, 06:05 PM

ORIGINAL: ghemry

Well not to give Atlasman a big head(we know he knows) he is correct. We have QDM the last 3 years and instead of seeing 1 or 2 big boys a year. This year I seen 6 and shot 2. It is still hard, but if we can make it easier and it is what you want to do then go for it. Last day's hunt I seen 12 different bucks. Because we have the buck to doe ratio about 2 to 1(which is good for MI) the ruts have been more active. I had 12 bucks after 1 hot doe that morning.
Now what Atlas has to understand it took a lot of hard work to get our property to this stage. We have planted CRP fields and food plots. Yes we reap the benifits, but you should when you put hard work in. Shooting a big deer is never easy, but if you can tilt the odds a little in your favor then do so!!!

Very nice to see someone who is honest enough not to pretend that QDM doesn't make seeing and killing bigger bucks easier. It's common sense.

I am happy that all your hard work has paid off for you guys.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas,

I finally had some time to get back to you on this. First off I am sorry if you thought I was implying that you cheated or lied. Not at all. I simply thought that you didnt consider a button buck antlered. Biologically speaking a button buck does have antler and begins growing it at 4 to 6 months...but ...now I understand why you don't consider them antlered in your state, because of the state view on them..at least I think I do...help me out here...

When I asked you about Button bucks and your state considering them antlered and your reply was "Not for tagging in this state"...Do you mean doe tags go on them???????,If so, Iflat out mis-understood that replyat first and wrongly made my second comment on that thread about a second buck....in which you had every right to be pissed... No excuse... My fault, I apologize if that was the case.

Troy

Old 01-06-2006, 01:26 AM

Atlas,

I finally had some time to get back to you on this. First off I am sorry if you thought I was implying that you cheated or lied. Not at all. I simply thought that you didnt consider a button buck antlered. Biologically speaking a button buck does have antler and begins growing it at 4 to 6 months...but ...now I understand why you don't consider them antlered in your state, because of the state view on them..at least I think I do...help me out here...

When I asked you about Button bucks and your state considering them antlered and your reply was "Not for tagging in this state"...Do you mean doe tags go on them???????,If so, Iflat out mis-understood that replyat first and wrongly made my second comment on that thread about a second buck....in which you had every right to be pissed... No excuse... My fault, I apologize if that was the case.

Troy

We get a "either" tag and a antlerless tag for bow/ML in NY. This allows you to take either 2 antlerless deer (button or doe) or 1 antlered deer (3" or more) and one antlerless. We also have DMP's issued (antlerless) for specific regions and in the southern zone they can be used during any season.

A button buck is not considered antlered in NY and is put on an antlerless permit (most people call them doe permits).

I was surprised/disappointed to see your comment implying what it did about me and the contest. I would think that you have seen me post here long enough to know that I would never do something like that. Even worse is that you could have handled it privately but instead chose to do it in public when you unfortunately don't have the story straight. A simple PM could have avoided the whole thing. I think maybe some of our conflicting opinions in the past may have been your motivation for wanting to "catch" me doing something wrong in front of the whole forum and that is perhaps most disappointing of all. It's just not something I expected to see coming from you.

Judging by your last post I am sure it was more of a misunderstanding then anything else...........I have no doubt there was no malice in your statement.....I'm not pissed.........never was. It's cool.

Just to clear up your confusion...........I shot the spike on opening day of archery season. He was the first buck to fall of the three. So it really doesn't matter about either of the two buttons or how they are classified because they fell after the one I entered in the contest.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Someone has anger managment problems [:'(]
Old 01-06-2006, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

let 'em go and let 'em grow...thanks for resurrecting "the message" Troy!
Old 01-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atlas,

When I make a mistakeI always try to do everything I can to make it right. I appreciate your response. You are exactly right, I did not have the facts straight about NY and button bucks. I should have known that before I thought differently or posted. I had no right to put you in that position. I give you my word though when I say I really figured you didnt consider a button buck antlered. Here in my state they are considered bucks. I can understand your dissapointment, rightly so. I screwed up. I agree with you also, I should have just pm'd you. As with everything in mylife, I won't make the same mistake twice. Again I am sorry for what Isaid. As for past disagreements, the only thing Ican think of that we reallydisagreed on was scent lok Which for me, is not an issue at all. I have hadhundreds of folks disagree with meon that topic.I have myexperiences with huntingyou have yours, that wasn't a factor here from my view, you may feelt that it was, you have that right, but it wasn't. The other day I simply looked at those pictures and thought you didnt consider a button buck antlered, not knowing the facts about your state I really put my foot in my mouth and feelvery bad about what I did andthe spot I put you on. If hunting net wants tocan me as a mod. They can rightly do that.I would understand.

Its important for me to do whats right, when I make a mistake. I hope you can forgive me. It's a good lesson for me and I won't make the same mistake again. I am truely sorry I put you into this. We may have disagreements in the future and thats fine, its healthy, If anything Atlas you've opened my eyes and made me a better person. I want everyone who reads this to know that by no means did you enter a second buck. I didnt know the facts about NY and should have kept my mouth shut.

Troy

Quick Reply: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.