Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let 'em go and let 'em grow >

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Old 09-25-2005, 09:41 PM

Default RE: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

I think most of you fighting over a subject like this need to grow up, I know I live in IL where I can have the chance to use QDM, but others do not and they have to do a lot more than just QDM to get a decent herd like IL has. So let them be and do what they want, it might not be my idea of good hunting practices, but it is all up to them!

Old 09-25-2005, 09:49 PM

Jeff K, you are right this is very childish of us and i fell right into the trap and i just want to appologize for the childish behavior to everyone. (no pun intended) Everyone please just go out and do your thing no matter what it may be and remember to have a fun and safe hunting season!

EDIT: i guess the only reason that i have been so offensive is because i have yet to take a deer with a bow and will shoot the first thing i see for that reason. I have taken plenty with a gun but none with a bow. Maybe once i get that first one under my belt with a bow my attitude will change, i dunno.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:50 PM

Jeff, there are a lot of great deer on properties in Illinois that are not doing QDM. Genetics, nutrition and a little bit of cover can do a lot for a deer herd... I don't know what would happen if every hunter in the world passed on all deer under 4.5 years of age.. Sometimes I wonder if the reason those old bucks are so timid and hide so well has something to do with the fact that maybe someone did take a shot or two at them when they wereyoungand they learned their lessons Or maybe, just maybe they were raised by a super cautious doe who passed these lessons on and were timid yearlings which is how they became wise old timers... I don't know..

I also have often thought about what Arthur said and have had that argument with many Trophy hunter type people that if we are replacing the predator in the ecosystem than why are we only targeting the prime breeding age bucks... I probably think to much for my own good. In the end I tend to agree with Shed's post of shoot what makes you happy. If it is a 90 pound doe, a 1.5 year old forkhorn, a6 month old fawn or only bucks over 145 it really doesn't matter to me. That picture of Colby and his buck speaks volumes of deer hunting is about to me.

Old 09-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Site Bouncer

If all you want is a "trophy" buck then just go buy one. I'm sure your local taxidermist has one for sale. Or you can just book a high fence hunt (same thing) and buy your trophy there. Hang it on your wall and have fun asking your buddies to guess what it scored and convincing themwhat a great hunter your are. Thenlook down your nose at the rest of us who are happy to just be out there hunting for the joy of hunting.

Hey I like a trophy buck just like the next hunter, but I also like the spike or fork horn or six orsmall eight as well. I have killed all of the above. I have also killed my share of does as well.To me, my decision to shootis madeat the time a shot presents itself.They all are trophies to me, every last one of them from the does to the lunkers.

Last time I checked it was called DEER hunting.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: maliburacing

zac76156- Everyone else here is having a civilized conversation and posting their opinion. You jump in just critisizing the heck out of everyone who shoots small bucks. Thats life, get over it. The whole world doesnt revolve around you. Do you hunt for squirrels and rabbits? Do you just shoot the "mature" ones because we all know how good them "mature" squirrels and rabbits taste dont we?You say it embarrases you to see an expierienced hunter check in a 4 pointer or a spike. It embarreses you to call him a hunter right? Well if you go back and read you previous post you should relize that you are just embarassing yourself because if you call yourself a fellow hunter you will learn to respect others for what they kill. Hunting is not a pissing contest to see who can shoot the big deer if it is then you need to go look in a dictionary and look up the word"hunt." Hunting is a hobby that most people do to get out of the house and go out and have a little fun. You should go out to the woods and be able to shoot what ever you want and take pride in it without having someone jump down your throat. As i said in my previous post hunting land is very little around my area without paying. I see maybe a total of 10 deer a year walk through where a hunt and thats including all 3 months so some of us have to take what we can.

Look i didnt want to single you out but you gave me no choice because everyone else was being civilized about this besides YOU. It embarasses you to see people killing small bucks well it embarasses me to see a fellow hunter act like you are acting. So do me a favorand think about what you are posting next time before you post.
malibu, I have never been "uncivilized" and if you re-read my post you will see that. What I have done, and will continue to do, is tell folks what I believe is right (even if it hurts someones pride to hear it). I find it ironic that the people posting about how hard it is to kill "mature" bucks in their area are the same people that "shoot the first thing that comes along". I wonder how that could be!!! Its a never ending cycle that some people will never understand... Also, I never said I was embarrassed to call ANYONE a hunter, but I do find it sad that someone who has spent many years hunting hasn't "matured" enough themselves to realize that it shouldn't be about the KILL!!! Listen, I love venison, but if I don't get a deer this year I'm not going to starve... and I doubt you will either. Talk about a smokescreen... hows the "smokescreen" of "I love venison so much... thats why I kill anything that walks by... gotta put food on the table".

I should learn to respect others for what they kill??? Well, let me ask you a question. If I posted a thread showing of the 18-point monster that I hand fed in my backyard for 7 years and then when bowseason came around I shot at five feet.... would you "respect my kill"??? I hope you wouldn't!!! Neither would I!!!Now, I'm not trying to draw any parallels between the two, just pointing out how ridiculous it is to "respect others for what they kill". Myself and many others out there (whether they admit it publicly on the forum or not) don't agree with what your style of "hunting".

BTW, I DID mean to single you out...
Old 09-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Until I decide that any deer I take with a bow isnt a trophy, I will continue to shoot the deer that gives me the best ethical shot. Whether its a 10 point or a spike.

The way I see it, we hunt 1250 acres in texas. None of our neighboring properties allow hunting. So what does anyone else care if I pass on a 1.5 year old buck, or send a broadhead through its vitals? Either way, I wont let you hunt him. Call me selfish, but I work too hard to maintain my land and make it attractive for deer.

And Arthur, Double Creek, you guys are welcome anytime as long as you promise that we can grill those tenderloins as soon as you kill a deer. Whether its 1.5 year old or 6
Old 09-26-2005, 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

Until I decide that any deer I take with a bow isnt a trophy, I will continue to shoot the deer that gives me the best ethical shot. Whether its a 10 point or a spike.

The way I see it, we hunt 1250 acres in texas. None of our neighboring properties allow hunting. So what does anyone else care if I pass on a 1.5 year old buck, or send a broadhead through its vitals? Either way, I wont let you hunt him. Call me selfish, but I work too hard to maintain my land and make it attractive for deer.

And Arthur, Double Creek, you guys are welcome anytime as long as you promise that we can grill those tenderloins as soon as you kill a deer. Whether its 1.5 year old or 6

That's a deal!!!!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:47 AM

ORIGINAL: TXhighrack

I'm not much of a venison guy, I might keep half a deer each season even though I kill several deer each year. I like to hunt MATURE trophy bucks. I do my best to make sure that their are many deer of this caliber on my land. I come from a part of the county where managing deer is taken extremely serious and no amount of money or time is spared to accomplish ones goals. Most of you guys would not "fit" down here just like I'm sure I wouldnt mess to well with you and/or your hunting buddies. It all has to do with the area we hunt and the land and average caliber of animals that we see on a regular basis. I would be bored to death if I had to hunt where some of you guys hunt.......

TX,

I hate to single you out, but I have one question for you...... Do you even bowhunt?
Old 09-26-2005, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

It all has to do with the area we hunt and the land and average caliber of animals that we see on a regular basis. I would be bored to death if I had to hunt where some of you guys hunt.......
Really?

"I hunt deer because I love the entire process; the preparations, the excitement, and sustained suspense of trying to match my woodslore against the finely honed instincts of these creatures. On most days spent in the woods, I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything; it has to do with how the day was spent."

"Life in the open is one of the finest rewards. I enjoy and become completely immersed in the high challenge and increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It is a return to fundamentals that I instinctively feel are basic and right."

"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only as a target but as a living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life if I can with regret as well as joy, and with the sure knowledge that nature's ways of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate than I bestow."

Fred Bear

I believe there is far too much emphasis placed on killing a big buck. I can tell you from experience that the satisfaction and joy of killing a trophy animal is temporary but what Fred is talking about will last a lifetime. If every buck in the woods was a scrawny 4 pt I'd still be out there and I wouldn't be bored. I love hunting!
Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: zac76156

turtleshell, know why there aren't many mature bucks where your at?? 'Cause people like you kill them before they get mature... Hey, why not just shoot a fawn??? They're really curious and will walk right up on you. The meat is ohh so tender, and they're a lot easier to drag back to the truck. [&:]
Just for your information I never said I shot every deer that walks by, I don't. I let deer go all the time small bucks, does and fawns included. I have a new bow this season and I am just itchin' to take somethin' with it. But I have already passed on two fawns, 2 spikes, and a couple of smaller does.If I killed every deer that presented a shot then I would tag out too quick. I get six tags per season. My season begins Sept 10 and lasts until Jan 1. With a season that long and that many tags I would infer that some biologist thinks that the deer herd might need to be reduced. Not just the "trophy bucks". Let all the deer go except the trophy bucks and see how outta whack the herd becomes afte time. That's not how nature works and that's not how I work.All I'm saying is that you guys that only want to kill a "mature buck" need to do that. if I or any one else chooses to do differently then it is our right to do so and you or anyone else have no right to tell me otherwise. If you'll excuse me I see a fawn button buck that I think I might just shoot

Quick Reply: Let 'em go and let 'em grow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.