Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

FOC delemia

Old 09-21-2005, 07:37 AM

Default FOC delemia

I know thismay need to go in tech. but forsome reason I cant get in there. Anyway, I might be splitting froghairs here, but I need some advice. With my current arrow setup, if I shoot 125gr points/broadheads my FOC is around 14 if I shoot 100gr my FOC is around 11.Both seem to group and shoot well, so does it matter which one I choose since they both fly well or should I stickwith a certain one? thanks
Old 09-21-2005, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: FOC delemia

They're both right in there for the FOC. So shoot the one that groups better,and/or the one that you have more confidence in. This isas long as bow bow isn't reacting differently to differences indeflection that the two different sized broadheads create (it's probably minimal).
Old 09-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: FOC delemia

I feel like this is my specialty area.Acceptable range for f.o.c. is 7-15%.So,your arrow is within specs with both tips.

However,In order to achieve the best flight the target is 9%.I would go with the 100gr tip 11% is better.14% is getting a little too high.That will cause your arrow to drop sooner.If you drop to the 100 gr you will gain a few fps too.Say for instance you arrow drops faster due to a high f.o.c. %You see a buck at what you think is 30yds.But he is actually 33yds.You aim for the heart,and shoot under him.If you had a better balanced arrow the flatter it will shoot,and that will help with yardage estimation errors.So,if you had the 100gr tip with a f.o.c.% of 11 it may have hit the deer.True...the arrow will drop also according to speed of the arrow also,but ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL...(SAY A 400 gr. arrow with a 14% f.o.c. vs a 400gr arrow with a 9% f.o.c.)thebetter balanced arrow will fly with less drop than one that is front heavy.

Balance is achieved by a combination of things.Fletching weight,nock weight,insert weight,nock or broadhead adapters,tip weight,and arrow length.On the other hand if it is too light in the front then the back end will try and come around,and that will cause erratic flight(It will look like the fletchings make a circle(flicker or flip),then re-gain control.That's exactly what is happening.)In most cases when you use fixed broadheads it will become more evident as they are catching more wind,and the fletchings have to fight the front more to remain in control making the problem worse.However if the f.o.c. is9%-15%,and the arrow is still having erratic flight then it is another problem.Most likelya clearance,spine,or tuning problem.I know some guys will think I'm over dramatizing this,but that is exactly what f.o.c. does.Hope I helped.