Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what possible organs did I hit? >

what possible organs did I hit?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what possible organs did I hit?

Old 09-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default what possible organs did I hit?

Well, went elk hunting last weekend. I shot one broadside about 30 yards. As I watched the arrow in flight, the elk turned a bit and ready to take off. I saw the arrow went forward of the broiler. I didn't see it hit. She took off back toward where she came from. She stopped and stumbled and on and on for a while. I was very disappointed that I missed it. About an hour later, I got down and went to find my arrow. It was laying on the ground with just the broadhead just burried under pine niddles and dirt. I looked at the arrow and saw blood. I tracked and did see more blood with what looked like bubbles. There were couple big piles of blood and bubbles, then she walked on to a step hill with 6-8 feet of very thick pines. I was able to bump into her, but she took off up hill in the thick pines. I left and came back in the evening to track again, but at noon there was a shower, so I couldn't track her anymore. Would like an opinion from every to see what I have hit. I still couldn't clear my mind.This was the fourth that I shoot since getting into archery. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:32 PM

Default RE: what possible organs did I hit?

Are you sure you went "forward" of the boiler room? That should had been a shoulder or brisket hit... and in my experience, makes for alot of blood early, but then peters out very quickly......

You can definitely rule out heart and double lung b/c after an hour she was still alive.... It's possible you got a quartering forward single lung hit.......... Especially if you have bubbles fairly quickly on the trail........A single lung animal will definitely act hit, but can survive and will many times take quite awhile to die, if they die.......

Not much help here, but stick with it.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright, i know we aren't supposed to get mad over these threads. However the freaking thread is titled "What possible organs did i hit?" EVERYONE should know the anatomy of the animal they are shooting at, otherwise how do you plan on killing it??
Old 09-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to hammer on you more than you already are yourself but you broke RULE #1 of the Recovery Thread:
Unless you witness a double lung pass through, I firmly believe to let an animal go for a couple hours rather than the common misconseption of half hour wait. Too many times a half hour isn't enough. The only shots that put an animal down quickly are double lung hits and heart shots. If you don't see your animal fall within site, your best bet is to wait it out.
Now that I've brow-beat you a bit. What color was the blood? Did it seem pink? If not itMAY not be a lung shot even though there are some bubbles. How big were the bubbles and how many? Sometimes a wound that is near a cavity can have bubbles from the blood being agitated from the running movement and air present in the cavity.

Sorry you lost the animal and be prepared now to be preached at by the horde of self-righteous who've never lost an animal in their holier-than-thou life.

Light the torches and let the flames begin.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:52 PM

One vote here fore a single lung hit.They can be really tough to find.

Everybody will begine preaching to you now, [:@]
Old 09-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

the 4th you've shot....did you recover any of those?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you say you hit it in front of the broiler room, it leads me to beleive you hit it in the base of the neck and above the briscit. I shot my first buck there, and there was profuse bleeding with bubbles in it. I got lucky and hit the vein going through there. I waited 2 hours before tracking, and kicked him up, but he was almost dead. He could barely run. I waited another 4 hours and he was stone dead about 15 yards from where I kicked him up. You wouldnt beleive all the blood he lost!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

When you say you hit it in front of the broiler room, it leads me to beleive you hit it in the base of the neck and above the briscit. I shot my first buck there, and there was profuse bleeding with bubbles in it. I got lucky and hit the vein going through there.
thats what I was thinking......and yes it is very hard to do, wait! I had the same experience......thought I made a good shot and HAD to go after him......jumped him from a bed covered with blood....tracked him for 6 hours and never found anything. Keep your head up, and watch out for the preaching, theyve all done it!!!!
Old 09-14-2005, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

A Successful tracking is the results of successful preparation and observation. Every thing you gave us is incomplete, or explained too poorly to make any kind of a sound judgement. All we can do is make assumptions which will probably lead to wrong conclusions. To start with, if she turned away and you shot you have to be more exacting than in front of the boiler room. Just where in the heck did you hit? Behind the shoulder at an angel??? In front of the shoulder across the briskett???(Kind of hard to do when a deer is turned away) What did you hit. My first thought was you slipped under the shoulder and out the front but your description is too vague. You say blood on the arrow??? How much???? Bubbles??? It's been my impression that most people can't tell bubbles from splatters. The most bubbles I ever saw on the ground came from a deer that was shot behind the shoulder, broke the knuckle of the shoulder and exited in front. The arrow never entered the chest. Bubbly blood everywhere. I watched the deer die 600 yards from where I shot it after kicking it up twice. The bubbles were caused by the blood, grizzle and action of the broken should flopping around. I had knicked the leg artery which eventually caused the deer to bleed out. YOu really got to be more precise in your description. And like someone said, NO WAY should you have to ask us what possible organs you may have hit. LEarn the anatomy of a critter. It's in books.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

To bad

Quick Reply: what possible organs did I hit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.