Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Early Season Rubs. >

Early Season Rubs.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early Season Rubs.

Old 09-16-2005, 02:47 PM

Default RE: Early Season Rubs.

Early rubs are usualy younger bucks rubbing off their velvet.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:28 AM

Rubs, whether big or small made early in the season, are the work of a mature deer. Rubs have very little do w/ bucks actually trying to remove their velvet. The rubbing starts because the testosterone levels in the bucks are on the rise, which is also what triggers the velvet antlers to begin to harden in August. If you find rubs in late August of early Sept. chances are good that you are in the playground of a mature buck. Scout that rubline back away from the field, toward the bedding area, and find a good spot to setup(Low key entry and exit paths you take to your stand are key). The big 8 in my signature photos below was killed on Oct 7th I was set up w/in 70 yds of this bucks bed. I shot him w/ about 10 minutes of light left the 1st time I hunted the rubline. I found the initial rubline in early sept that year, and they were mostly little rubs, nothing that would have indicated this monster was there, other than that early rubs mean mature bucks whether the rubs are big or small this time of year. Thats my opinion atleast.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

I have the proof that the big boys don't do the first scrapes of rubs. I found a rubline and a scrape here in Nw Pa two weeks ago, I put the cuddeback on the scrape for 4 days. I have 9 bucks and 16 does on film. neither of the two monster bucks showed, The bucks were 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year olds.

Old 09-17-2005, 07:03 AM

They are rubbing velvet off. But you should continue to watch the area without contaminating site. You'll probably see some scrapes in the area a little later in the season. Need real Deer Scents? Visit http://www.swansnestbotanicals.com
Old 09-17-2005, 08:47 AM

IL Trophy Hunter knows what he is talking about. One thing I have learned over the years is that there is never an exact measure of buck size to- rub timeing, rub size, scrape timeing, or scrape size. However there is ageneral rule of thumb such as larger bucks WILLrub andscrape early, but so might a 1 1/2 year old. The first scrapes of the season are 100% territorial scrapes (boundry markers if you will).These scrapes are usually highly visable such as field edges, logging roads, etc. Later in the season bucks develope breading scrapes in which they "check" on a regular basis. A territorial scrape could develope into a breeding scrape as well. These scrapes are usually found on flatter areas or plateaus within the timber (my location is extremely hilly). These pre-rut scrape lines are extremely effective to hunt.If large size rubs become evident, at any time of the year,this is almost always the making of something large. Keep in mind there must be more than one tree wrist size or larger and shreaded,not"tinkered" with. Remenber, scouting CAN NOT end on opening day. Pre-rut to rut scouting is a must. So, early season rubs and scrapes are encouraging and yes, hunt them, but don't take too much stock in them until later in the season.