Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Finding your arrow after the shot >

Finding your arrow after the shot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Finding your arrow after the shot

Old 09-14-2005, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Finding your arrow after the shot

easy............ install Lumenocks
Old 09-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also hunt quite a bit from the ground. I also hunt the edge of fields and many of my shots are deer in the field. An arrow shot from the ground over ahay field is a tough bugger to find.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot an 8 point once and the arrow never made a sound after it left the bow. A complete pass thru that went between ribs on both sides. The buck didn't even react and didn't know he was shot and fell over dead. I searched for weeks and even the next year and never found the arrow. I even used a metal detector. I don't know if any arrow wrap would have made a difference.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Last year I found one arrow, found both halves of an arrow after hitting my buck, and lost one arrow. My arrows are black with green and yellow fletching. Some times it is difficult to find them some times. Just have to look harder I guess.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Spike

I started using all white vanes, and like bigbulls, I also stick a short piece of reflective tape wrapped right in front of the knock, that aids in finding the arrow in the dark.
The reason I switched to white vanes is that way I can see the hit very clearly so it takes out a lot of the guesswork.
I've had several pass-throughs and the the arrows are always burried in the ground at an angle that's easy to spot, even while I'm still up in my stand.
After you get a shot you should be waiting at least 2 hours, so while you have all that time on your hands grab your binoculars and look at/for your arrow. Scrutinize the flight path of the deer, and the last place that you saw it, you may get lucky and spot it laying dead from your treestand.
If you are sure you hit the animal and you didn't get a pass through then waiting is a must. Read all the threads on this site about blood trailing, don't get in a hurry and chances are very good that you'll recover not only your arrow but your deer as well!
Good luck
Old 09-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: pass_threw

one tip is to practice from the blind or stand so you know the flight characteristics.
fill a milk jug with spray foaminsulation,set it out on the ground and shoot at it from many positions.
this will force you to focus on a smaller target (kill zone size) and revile the arrows landing angle.

PT
Thanks for ths tip. I like it.

I personally just look around for the arrow. If it's a pass through, it's easy to locate while still up the tree. Even for me because I prefer brown/black fletching. If it wasn't a pass through, you'll find half of it along the blood trail while recovering your dead deer.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:20 PM

it went completely threw the boiler room clean

where's the boiler room???
Old 09-15-2005, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

I mark a spot in my mind before climbing down from the tree as to where the deer was and where my shot was. it is like after you shoot...look for things that will help you locate the last known spot the deer was before going out of sight. same with the arrow
Old 09-15-2005, 04:45 PM

i use the lumenoks. they are great! You can buy them off ebay much cheaper then at cabelas or basspro.shipping is about $1.25. I just got a doe today at 7:08 am and even though it was light out i could see my arrow like a laser beam and after the pass through it just sat there glaring orange. Try em-
Old 09-15-2005, 07:53 PM

like said before i would install lumenocks that is what my arrows have on them