Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long before sun up? >

How long before sun up?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long before sun up?

Old 09-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default How long before sun up?

Ok, for all you morning hunters out there. How early do get in your stands. I prefer about an hour before light, it gives me time to set up and move around and fart and all that good stuff.
So what does every one prefre here?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:50 AM

Default RE: How long before sun up?

depends on how far the stand iam hunting is in the woods could be1 /12- 2 hours before day light
Old 09-13-2005, 11:53 AM

If sunrise is at 6:30AM and legally we can hunt starting at 6AM, I get secured into my stand and ready and quiet by 5:30AM to 5:45AM. I like a good 15-30 minutes quiet to 'listen' to the woods, gather myself and relax. I'm fortunate that where I park my truck on a dirt road I have only a 2 minute hike to my stand. But, there are times I cannot sleep and just get out of bed earlier than usual and get to my stand an hour before legal hunting hours. Next to hunting, I simply enjoy the time outdoors and in nature.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

30 minutes is MORE than enough. I have on occasion intentionally waited until it was the grey of dawn before slipping in, simply because of the situation. Every stand is different. But really, if you slip in quietly, climb, sit down and sit still, 15 or 20 minutes is enough. 1 1/2-2 hours does NOTHING to increase your odds really. In fact, you're half worn out from sitting before you can even see to shoot. It'll probably make you antsyier when you should be sitting still and getting in the hunt mode. 30 minutes the deer are far enough away from your stand to not see or hear you go in if you plan it right and don't arrive with flashing lights and banging and clattering. Why beat yourself up when you can't shoot before light anyway.
I'm fortunate that where I park my truck on a dirt road I have only a 2 minute hike to my stand.
You really need more than one spot.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree EXACTLY with everything David said above! [:-]
Old 09-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hee hee. I am an early bird on the first day since I hunt heavily pressured public land. First day opening morning hunting time is usually around 6:30 am. I am easily in the woods by 3:30-3:45. After I get a handle on when and where others are hunting I will typically be there about an hour before first light. It takes me a good 20 minutes to walk into the stand and then another 20 to get up the tree and all set up.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the spot. Usually I like to get there around 45 min before sun up. But on one spot, i'll get there a couple hours before sun up. Just depends on the spot, and situation that is presented.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:56 PM

I can usually see to shoot by the time I get all settled in..........

I'm with David, sitting the dark is just silly and not needed in MOST instances.....
Old 09-13-2005, 01:07 PM

I'm usually in my stand and setup an hour before twilight. Gives me time to take a nap before it starts getting light out.

After reading fieldmouse's reply I concur. I love to watch the woods awaken in the morning. I have had squirrels and birds within an arms reach of me. There's just something magical about watching everything and the animals don't know you are there. One time I actually got scared because a racoon started climbing up the same tree I was in. I had to make some noise to scare him. I didn't want to find out how that introduction would have turned out!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm usually in about a 1/2 hour before first light....which btw is different than sunrise.

Quick Reply: How long before sun up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.