Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long before sun up? >

How long before sun up?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long before sun up?

Old 09-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How long before sun up?

I'm in my stand at least hour ahead of legal shooting hours. I've have sometimes stayed in my stand hours after legal shooting hours. I love to listen to the sounds of the animals in the woods. It's music to my ears.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

By 5am,Take a nap and rest up
Old 09-13-2005, 04:51 PM

It depends on what stand I am hunting from.In the oal flats I like to wait until I can see a little before entering.I make sure I have beaten the deer there first.A couple of the others I like to be there anywhere froma hour to half hour before first light.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

Usually about 20-30 minutes. If I get there earlier than that I will tighten the
old saftey belt and catch a little nap before sun up. It doesn't last long when I
start to hear animals moving around. I go on red alert even though I can't see
a thing. Just instinct I guess.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:49 PM

yeah id say i get in there at about 30-45 min before sunrise..
Old 09-13-2005, 06:14 PM

I would say on average of 1/2 hour before legal shooting time. BUT, it depends on the situation. I have a couple of stands that I am in at least 1 1/2 hours early, sometimes more, and some stands I don't dare approach until AFTER sunrise.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Typical Buck

I'm usually settled in about 15-20 before first light, sometimes sooner. It depends on which place I go to. I usually hunt about 35 miles away and the wind can be a little different so if I decide on a different stand than my original intentions, sometimes I'm up there a little early and sometimes a little later. If I'm up there earlier, I'll just take a quick cat nap.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:16 PM

Last year I waited I set out to my stand just as it was light enough to walk. I was, and still am, scared of the woods. I am working on it. I hope to be able to settle in my stand half an hour before it gets light out. I love driving in the dark on the way to my spot, and I love watching the woods wake up. I just hate walking alone in the dark.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:42 AM

I try to get in 1/2 hour before legal shooting. Ironicly It seems like I see more deer on the days I am running late and get it when it is already light out. Who knows! Just enjoy the time you are in your stand!
Old 09-14-2005, 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: .308hunter

I'm usually in about a 1/2 hour before first light....which btw is different than sunrise.
I agree on both counts. Also, I want to believe that this is early enough because logistically it is very difficult to get to my stand before that anyway. That is, the check station opens at 5:00am; if I am there then, which I usually am, it still takes me 45 minutes to an hour to get to my stand and get set up. Iwouldprobably notsit in my stand formore than 1/2hour before first light anyway, since it is only legal to shoot from 1/2 hour before sunrise. I guess that, theoretically it might make a difference to sit there longer to give deer a chance to wander in and be in position to shoot when shooting time came, but it has never been an option for me.

Quick Reply: How long before sun up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.