Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bug Repellant

Old 09-13-2005, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bug Repellant

ORIGINAL: buck-i

repel makes a spray you can apply the night before to your clothes it has permamone ?spelling works great for ticks.the can is orangish
This Repelstuff is awesome for ticks. Any other permathrin (permanone) based repellant is. Just spray on your clothes the day before,let it dry, and no ticks. It lasts for 2 weeks too, even after washing. It is odorless when dry, I had 6 deer come in downwind while turkey hunting when I had the stuff on. No stinkin bugs does stink, about as bad as off or any other DEET based spray. It works though, but will kill the finish on your bow. I choose Thermacell for the skeeters.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

No Stinking Bugs ...what a rip off. I had mosquitoes all over me with that stuff.

Now I just use my bug suit
Old 09-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

i have mixed emotions when it comes to no stinkin' bugs...i've had good days with it and i've had bad luck with it...last week while gator huntin' i used some and it didn't phase the skeeters....thermocell is the only way to go.

permanone is a must for any hunter...especially if you don't want lymes disease...and it really works after washing.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 AM

I use no stinkin bugs and I though it worked just fine. It still stinks though and doesn't work any better than any other repelent......

I think the thermocell is the way to go.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:07 PM

Permathrin is a natural bug repellant "killer" in that stuff you spray on your clothes. I heard that active ingredientis in some plants naturally. I don't know how it works with misquitos, but its great for tick and chigger prevention.
Marc
Old 09-13-2005, 04:54 PM

Man 2 weeks ago I was hangin a stand and doing some scouting.I ended up with over a hundred chiggars on me EVERYWHERE I had the bumps from them.Talk about a uncomfotable week.Finally getting over it now.Just to get about a dozen more this weekend hanging another stand.Got to get no stinkin bugs for myself this weekend before heading out to hang another one.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a can of repellant that claims to be odorlesswith a touch of "earth scent". Myquestion is: will this be harmfulby spooking deer?Is itreliable that it is odorless?
I have used both the "No Stinkin' Bugs" and the "No Stinkin' Ticks" spray and neither seemed to spook the deer. I have had deer walk within 10 yards of my treestand while I had the stuff on with no ill effects.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had great experiences with no stinkin bugs. 2 of the 3 deer I killed last year were while wearing no stinkin bugs. So far so good.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just for the record, there are two different products marketed by Scent Shield. One is "No Stinkin Ticks" which contains .5% Permethrin. The other is "No Stinkin Bugs" which contains 23.75% DEET plus some synergistic products. In my trials they both worked fairly well for their intended purposes. There are several Permanone (generally Permethrin) products labeled for clothes application that last quite awhile and work well. Pyrethrin is a botanical insecticide derived from certain flowers (mostly specific varieties of mums). The Thermacell device worked very well when tested. I found no odor / scare issues with deer utilizing any of the above tested products.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:07 AM

I don't use any bug repellant any more, just a Bug Tamer Plus 3D Leafy suit. It works really well for me in the swamp. Never get bitten, great camo, Contain inner lining for extra scent control and I don't smell like a chemical plant.

Quick Reply: Bug Repellant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.