Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Synthetic Scrapes >

Synthetic Scrapes

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Synthetic Scrapes

Old 09-11-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Synthetic Scrapes

I know this topic is posted year after year, but every year there are far more ppl on this board, and also synthetics are gaining popularity.
Has anyone been using BF products with any luck this summer?? According to thier claim you can create opening day success by conditioning deer to use the area well in advance. I have had great luck during the season, but has anyone made the scrapes and kept them going all year like they claim??
Old 09-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Synthetic Scrapes

No, nor do I know what you mean by "bf". Care to elaborate? I think I keep pretty up to date on this type of stuff but I must have missed this one.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:28 PM

Sorry. Hawgs Buck Fever Synthetics. http://www.hawgslimited.com/
Old 09-12-2005, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I start my own scrapes every year and they get used every year.
You only need two things , a branch to clear the leaves from the scrape , and a big glass of water before going out. Make sure the scrape is under a branch , clear it off , then pee in it.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I use buckfever synthetics and have witnessed good reaction to mock scrapes, rubs and licking branches. I use the urine, rut urine and forehead gland scents for my set ups. I start mine right about now for the upcoming scraping phase of the rut. I have also harvested some respectable bucks in conjunction with these products.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:33 PM

What is the process in making a mock rub and do you put them on tons of trees or one and is it right with the mock scrape
Old 09-13-2005, 02:37 AM
Spike

Yes, Hawg's Limited scents work!Like you, I have heard that deer will hit these scrapes year round but what good is it to have deer at your scrape in July? I start mine in September, before the natural ones start springing up. Just MO, but I don't know what the advantage would be to starting them any earlier. Anyone else out there feel it's better to keep them going year round?
Old 09-13-2005, 02:56 AM
Spike

Buckfever1613 - use a heavy knife or your saw to scrape up a tree. Coat the exposed area with Jackie's licking branch scent or a similar pre-orbital gland scent and you have a mock rub. Don't go overboard with it though. Start less than a foot off the ground and make a rub about 10" long on a sapling 1 & 1/2" to 2" in diameter. It's a good idea to make a rub line in addition to your mock scrapes. A rub line usually consists of a rub every 20 to 30 yards. Just remember this is a scent post, don't contaminate it with your odor or forget it. I almost always make mock scrapes where a rub line already exists. I put out a cluster of scrapes (3 to 5) along the rub line, freshen up the rubs or create a few more, and they will come. Funny how many guys seem to skip the rub part and only focus on the scrape. I'm convinced it's better to do both.

Bowfanatic- Yes, your own pee will work but Hawg's Limited scents are 32 times the concentration of natural urine and they are reactivated by rain so, they work much better and last much longer. Also, you've skipped the licking branch part. The more natural the setup the better.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntmDown

Bowfanatic- Yes, your own pee will work but Hawg's Limited scents are 32 times the concentration of natural urine and they are reactivated by rain so, they work much better and last much longer. Also, you've skipped the licking branch part. The more natural the setup the better.
I dont know about the pee "concentration" , but I do set mine up under a licking branch. I only get it started , the bucks keep it open , so as far as scent glands on the licking branch , it's 100% natural. I'll make a few mock scrapes in September and by October the bucks are keeping them open on a daily basis. I'm sure your product works also , I'm just pointing out that one doesn't need to spend money to start a mock scrape.