Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Crossbow vs. Compound...opinions? >

Crossbow vs. Compound...opinions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbow vs. Compound...opinions?

Old 04-09-2010, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check the laws where you are, some states you can't use a xbow unless you are handicapped.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Go with a properly fitted compund and enjoy being a bowhunter. Good luck and good shootin'
Get a properly fitted recurve or longbow and enjoy hunting with a bow - the ones the bowseasons where stated for.

Compounds and crossbows are like fraternal twins - strongly related and barely different. Recurves and compounds are like 4th cousins - barely related and little in common.

I have no problem with any of the above in the bow season.
Pick the one that interests you the most.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

I have both in the shop, and when a crossbow is purchased, thats it! No sights, rest, arrows, etc. The crossbows I have is packaged. All you have to do is shoot. Sure some want more arrows, or different bhs, but most is already on the crossbow. A bow on the other hand, shooters want options. So they tend to pick a rest, site, arrows and that sorta thing, to meet their budget, or to get better than what they had. Just remember, you have to shoot both to get good. Ask any rifleman that shoots a 1"group at 300yds how many shots did it take to get that good? Enjoy shooting whatever you have.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Crossbows are not even allowed where i am.
I only got one option.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

As a few have said, do you want to spend some time enjoying learning how to shoot a real bow, or do you want to just purchase something that may be legal to shoot during bow season.

If you don't have time or desire to learn to shoot a bow, then buy the X-gun. It looks cool, and will reliably take deer with only a little bit of practice.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed
Go with a properly fitted compund and enjoy being a bowhunter. Good luck and good shootin'
Ditto. A thousand time, ditto.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Get a properly fitted recurve or longbow and enjoy hunting with a bow - the ones the bowseasons where stated for.

Compounds and crossbows are like fraternal twins - strongly related and barely different. Recurves and compounds are like 4th cousins - barely related and little in common.

I have no problem with any of the above in the bow season.
Pick the one that interests you the most.

I agree with all three points made above...especially the last one!
Just make sure your state allows hunting with the weapon you choose (eg. I don't think my state, New York, allows hunting with a crossbow for most hunters...yet).
Old 04-10-2010, 07:03 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SteveBNy

Exactly. Learn the sport from the bottom up. Take pride in hunting exactly as its been done for 1000's of years.

Ditto, thousand times ditto. (sorry Greg, had to be done)

Old 04-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

09-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Did anyone look at the DATE on this thread???

I agree, Doug offered up some good advice, but I suspect the OP, probably really won't get much from the last few responses considering he's not been here in 4 1/2 years......

Just wondered......
Old 04-12-2010, 04:53 AM
Spike

a compound bow has its challenges but in the end ull feel rewarded when u drop tht big boy,,crossbows in my opion are for the handicaped who dont hve the oportunities to pull bac a compound bow..and remember shooting a bow is a skill and doesnt come easy without alot of practice

Quick Reply: Crossbow vs. Compound...opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.