Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is this animal?  Game cam pic >

What is this animal? Game cam pic

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is this animal? Game cam pic

Old 09-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is this animal? Game cam pic

I would have to say bobcat as well. The black ear tips and the tail tip, as well a length are the defining characteristics for me. That is a real dandy of a cat. My dad shot the UP state record at 49 pounds a few years ago and the one in that pic is all of that big.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

At first glass I thought mountain lion though I believe the others are correct in stating that it just a large bobcat.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Look at theway it's strideis left back leg forward, cousing the tail to sway to the left and curl,, the pic you have it's just sitting there, tail out streched Compare the two photos and you will see the Heads are exactly the same, rounded, With rounded ears, A bobcats head is more pointed as well as the ears,,
Old 09-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

That sure looks like a cougar to me. I wish we could see the tail a bit better though. It must be one of those ghost cougars that the DEC in NY are denying all over the place. There have been many sigthtings in the Sounthern Tier of NY and PA including one by myself. A guy that lives in an area behind my land even has some hair as proof. But the DEC is very tight lipped and denies any release efforts.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive seen a cougar before, and everything about this cat looks like one, exceptits tail....it is way too short for a cougar.

I would bet it is Bobcat, with a hell of an appetite...
Old 09-08-2005, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

My vote goes to the Cougar! Ears are round. The only thing I can't figure out is that tail! Get some bait for that thing and tryto get another pic
Old 09-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

This was taken in Bradford County PA, just south of the NY border. It was taken halfway between Williamsport, PA and Elmira, NY. I also swear to you guys that there is no BS with this, I know the people that sent this are good friends of my parents and wouldn'ttry toplay games with something like this.

The only reason I am not 100% that this is a bobcat is because on all the bobcats I have seen(quite a few in VT growing up, and a few in PA) they have huge hindquarters on them, this animal has a larger front end than back end and is not proportionally balanced the same as the other bobcats I have seen. I have also never seen one with that sleek of a head on it, the other heads I have seenhave heads much rounder.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bobcat for sure - and a nice one at that. Bobcats can grow to nearly 40 pounds, which is much bigger than your garden variety housecat. Their summer coat is more sleek, whereas the winter coat is shaggier. The tufts on his ears and the bobtail are a dead giveaway.

The camera shot silhouettes the cat, and makes it hard to see his markings. If you'd see him in a better light, you'd see those dark stripes/spots.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:38 AM

there are no tufts on his ears and the tail is curled away from him to apear shorter.Save the pic to a photo editing program and enlarge the photo and you can see there are no tufts.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:39 AM

I would lean towards bobcat, but that thing does look strange. It almost looks like a cross between a bobcat and cougar....... He's big for a bobcat, but small for a cougar. His tail looks likea bobcat's, but it's hard to tell if it is indeed curling away.

Interesting for sure. Find a dead carcass and put in front of your camera and see what comes along.....

Quick Reply: What is this animal? Game cam pic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.