Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Don't forget Hunters for the Hungry >

Don't forget Hunters for the Hungry

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Don't forget Hunters for the Hungry

Old 09-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Don't forget Hunters for the Hungry

ORIGINAL: Illini_Sportsman

You may want to lay off the doe-slaying come November, G2 Shooter. Anyone know the places in Illinois? Do you have to gut the deer or just take the whole thing?
Here in NC you have to skin and qtr the deer. It's butchers who donate their time also for the program to work.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:57 PM

Thanks Fieldmouse for the reminder. In Missouri, we have "Share the Harvest" http://mdc.mo.gov/hunt/deer/share/ Last year my husband and I put one doe in the freezer and donated 2 bucks and 5 does to Share the Harvest for both bow and gun season. HFH, Share the Harvest and other organizations that encourage us to donate our extra venison are great.These organizations serve more than just one purpose.....They feed the hungry and act as a vehicle of encouragement for hunters to take does, which is necessary in order to control the deer population.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

I sure wish some one would tell me where in Mass I could find HFH I would gladly give up a deer or two. I have been donating enough to the hunters who can't shoot straight club. If there is a national number or addy and some one would post it I would appreciate it. Mike
Couldn't find anything specific, but I did find an article that says "red tape" has been a problem with establishing a program.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20041213/LN_001.htm

I also found a New England number that I believe has a Mass area code.

Hunters for the Hungry - New England Sportsmen Against Hunger C. Geoffrey Hemmenway
508-772-7000
Old 09-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Oklahoma, if you just gut it, they will take it. I usually skin mine as it doesn't take very long and it helps the butchers out a lot.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Tim thanks a lot that was a very interesting artical and I will give that phone number a try if I am lucky enough this year. Thanks again Mike
Old 09-10-2005, 06:16 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Mike Hill

Hey Tim thanks a lot that was a very interesting artical and I will give that phone number a try if I am lucky enough this year. Thanks again Mike
That was an interesting artical. Is the problem Lawyers like Ted Kennedy or are the homeless too good not to receive fresh from the freezer meat?

It reminds me of a local goose kill that was going to happen with the kills going directly to the shelters. The shelters were rejecting it because the lakes may contain chemicals. I repeat may becausesome home ownershave lawn care service. I know if I was homeless I would love to eat goose and deer.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

The butcher shop where I get my deer cut actually requires a 30.00 fee for a donated deer! How hungry are these folks? Go figure.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I live in Indiana and they have something simmilar to that program but you have to pay the prossecing fees. I would love to donate meat to the hungry but I can not afford to pay 80 dollars to have it prossed. They have to be dropped of at certain prosseers and they charge more then me doing it myself, and they will not take it if you do it yourself. I only keep one deer a year myself and I usually kill 3 or so. If any one knows of away to donate it with out it costing me any money I would gladly donate my deer to the hungry. Any help on this would be greatly apreciated.

William
Old 09-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

does anyone know where we can donate meat in central florida? i'd love to be get involved in that.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:25 PM

ORIGINAL: hoosierhunter43

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I live in Indiana and they have something similar to that program but you have to pay the processing fees. I would love to donate meat to the hungry but I can not afford to pay 80 dollars to have it processed. They have to be dropped of at certain processor and they charge more then me doing it myself, and they will not take it if you do it yourself. I only keep one deer a year myself and I usually kill 3 or so. If any one knows of away to donate it with out it costing me any money I would gladly donate my deer to the hungry. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

William

In Missouri, Bass Pro Shop and Shelter Insurance help in the fees for the processing. It's a $35.00 fee where we take our deer. The Mo. Dept. of Conservation also shares in the cost. A few years ago it cost us $5.00 per deer and now it costs us nothing.

You might check with Bass Pro Shop to see if they supplement any programs in your areas.