Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you care how "easy" your hunting is? >

Do you care how "easy" your hunting is?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you care how "easy" your hunting is?

Old 09-06-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Do you care how "easy" your hunting is?

Last year I got permission to hunt a private farm and there were deer all over the place.........this is new to me because I have hunted public land for most of my life and done very well.........however, the days that I have seen deer are FAR outnumbered by the days I have seen nothing. I have also hunted a lot of private property but nothing with the action that this place had.

I couldn't help but feeling like it was just a little too easy ya know?? I mean I could tell you when and where you would see deer there and you could set your watch by it. I killed my buck on Oct 26th and my buddy killed his on Oct 27th........out of the same tree. I could have killed propbably a dozen deer from that stand over the course about 10 days. I saw many bucks.........had at least 5 or 6 in bow range (3 in one day)..........and this was all before the rut.

I just remember the feeling that it was not much of a challenge to kill a deer there........and it wasn't. I don't look down on the deer I took there........I just don't feel like I had to do anything special to get him other then get out of bed and not miss from 10 yards [8D] I don't consider either of those as unique skills.

Kinda like watching guys sit over a food plot full of 30-40 deer and just wait for the biggest one to get out in the open and drop him............great deer??.......sure.........but seriously, how excited could you be about bagging one like that? The only skill you need is patience.

I killed a doe by gun last year in the middle of about 20 truckloads of guys and freakin orange everywhere.............that deer has a higher ranking in my heart then the buck I killed on that farm with my bow. I had to use my head and knowledge of the land to figure out where the deer would head under such high pressure and when they would go there...........we dragged her out under the brightest moon I have ever seen. The buck I shot at first light with a steaming cup of coffee in my cup holder which I drank while I played Yhatzee and gave him a 1/2 hour.

Does "easy" matter to anyone else??

I didn't......and won't go to that farm with my gun...........That would be such a slam dunk it would be simple instead of easy.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you care how "easy" your hunting is?

This will get good. Easy 5-6 pager.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:54 PM

Atlasman, if it's too "easy" for you, there's a real "easy" solution: don't hunt there.

And don't wear ScentLok either!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see where you are comming from atlas. Since were teammates this year hunt that easy spot again ok?
Old 09-06-2005, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

The easier the better(Go team 22)
I bow hunt because of the challenge. That being said......If it gets to easy with the compound I will probably go traditional. I don't for see that ever happening. I'm not sure if bagging a mature whitetail could ever be "easy" where I hunt. Easier perhaps that some other land around but not easy.

"Easy" Is also in the eye of the beholder. I hunt on some pretty good land. I could almost pick the day to kill a doe or a small buck ifI chose to.My brother in-law gun hunts this land. With two guys hunting they couldn't even manage to kill a doe last fall.[&:]It's not becauseof a lack of deer in the area. So for themI guess its not too easy!
Old 09-06-2005, 02:07 PM

I almost exclusively bowhunt, almost exclusively on public land - the Big Cypress swamp in south Florida. It is hard terrain, hot wet and buggy. We have a small deer heard and we are only allowed to take 2 bucks a year with at least 5 inch antlers. I have to work for every single opportunity see a shooter, much less to take a shot at one. In a perverse way, it gives me a great sense of accomplishment. Some of my friends think I am insane, and maybe I am a little, but to paraphrase someone: that which we obtain too easily we cherish too lightly.

It is not commonplace for me to see deer in the woods. Last year I spent about 25 days hunting and came to full draw 3 times. Of those I only shot once. But every time I see a deer in the woods it makes my heart pump like nothing else does. I think if I saw 50 deer a day I would lose that. I do not denigrate other hunters who have an easier time of it. I do not think less of their hunting accomplishments. But I do cherish my own because it is hard.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

No such thing as an easy hunt. I see plenty of deer on our property as well, but to wait for the big one, have them come in and make a perfect shot is rarely too easy. THe more deer the merrier.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:08 PM

ORIGINAL: WindsorArcher

Atlasman, if it's too "easy" for you, there's a real "easy" solution: don't hunt there.

And don't wear ScentLok either!

I didn't.............with a gun................and I don't
Old 09-06-2005, 02:10 PM

Part of the challenge of hunting is finding new places to hunt, private or public. As long as it is unfenced and unguided, I consider it to be just as satisfying wether taken on public or private land.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I see where you are comming from atlas. Since were teammates this year hunt that easy spot again ok?

There is no question I will be perched 25 up with bow in hand on that farm.

Quick Reply: Do you care how "easy" your hunting is?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.