Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot taken on Limbsavers Outdoor America this week >

Shot taken on Limbsavers Outdoor America this week

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot taken on Limbsavers Outdoor America this week

Old 09-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shot taken on Limbsavers Outdoor America this week

Dickcress, it wasn't a Texas Heart shot the guy took. I know what that is. I remember the first time I heard of it was on one of the old Noel Feather "Bitter Cold Bucks" videos when Noel's buddy Red Miller did a Teaxas Heart shot on a buck and then explained it. This shot that this guy took was different. The buck was shot at by another hunter that missed him. He then ran over to where the guy that shot him was. The buck was facing completly away from him and was real skittish. This guy was aiming, on purpose, to try and hitthe buckin the back of the neck, but ended up shooting it in the high rump. Then he actually had the nerve to tell what he did like it was no big deal. Like you said, I don't like to complain about shots and we should worry about our own. I know that things happen and some shots end up bad. Ithas happened to me and I hate it. But when I see some idiot take a blatantly bad , low percntage shot on purpose, and then they are stupid enough to air it on TV...... [:@][:@]Well, that is when I just have to speak up and get it off my chest.
Alot of you guys are right. Unfortunately some of the hunting shows now feel that the kill and the sucess is more impotant than the actual hunt and all that is involved with it now so they can win awards and get more sponsor's $$$$ , that about anything goes as far as shot selection goes. It is sad. That isn't what hunting represents for me.
If I get a reply from Steve Gruber, the producer, I will post it on here. I am anxious to see what he has to say.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:39 AM

I made a post earlier on a different thread regarding our sport and trying to focus on positive instead of negative issue's. This is one case that we as archers and hunters and general can make a difference. We take the time to come here and post and talk to each other about right and wrong and a lot more. Look at taking the time to Send an E-mail to Limbsavers outdoor and the all the others. Look at all the sponsers listed here on the home page. Send them an E-mail and tell them about how you are concerned about the poor quality shows with bad shots and bad safety. I have seen quite a few shows of late, where hunters are climbinging trees using dead branches as steps and not wearing a safety harness. Let them know. They will listen if enough express their concerns with them. Just a thought. It has the potential to affect us all. If we do nothing but complain to each other.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

WBowhunt, that is exactly the way I feel about it. After talking to a few of my buddies and a few guys at work who saw the show and were also upset about it, we thought that an e-mail to the producer would be in order. I was picked to be the one to write it on all our behalfs. As I said before, the e-mail to Steve Gruber I sent wasn't a nasty one. I was very polite about it but voiced concerns that we had about how hunters were cast in a negative light by these type of hunts being shown on hunting shows. I told him that maybe the e-mail would make him reconsider showing something like that in the future. If any one else saw the show and felt the same way and wants to e-mail, you can go to the www.wolfcreekinc.com then click on About Us. This will go to a page with all the staff. Steve Gruber is the first one, and his e-mail address is there. Please don't send nasty crude e-mails to him. Be gentleman about it and show him how upstanding real caring sportsmen are. That gets a whole lot more done than being jerks about it.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:55 AM

You guys are all right on the mark. I participate on a few different forums and I try to get these points across all of the time. I am in the process of making a video that will be for sale in early December and all the things you just spoke of are huge concerns of ours. We all make mistakes, but you don't want to include things that make a bad impression, especially to young hunters who are watching to learn. I try to watch Team Fitzgerald when I can because it seems to me that they take the time to get these points across.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

What the he... is that? I have never heard of the "facing away shot". Quartering away...yes but "facing away'?
I haven't read through the whole thread....but here's my take Frank

Within my comfy shooting distance I used to take shots like this quite often with a rifle. Killed a few (instantly)running this way as well. It's quite deadly and will put a deer down faster than a broadside lung hit from my experience (all dropped on the spot). If the shot does go low, you will most of the time break the spine or you hit the major areteries in the ham which is also a very quick kill with an approriate round (something very high velocity, not a 30-30, if ya get my drift) However, I was a much more skilled shot with a rifle or shotgun in my younger days than I ever have been with a bow.

Today, not having shot a rifle in 14 or 15 yearsI don't have the skill to be confident on a shot like that except at a very close distance (50 yards or less) on an animal that was stationary.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Typical Buck

Well I said that I would post if I recieved a reply back from Steve Gruber, the producer and host of the show, in answer to my e-mail about the shot on last weeks show. Well, he did send me an e-mail back. It was a very nice and polite e-mail at that. He said that appreciated my concern in voicing my opinion on wht appeared to be an unethical shot. He said that the shot was in fact a quartering away shot. Headmitted that is was a very hard quartering away shot, but that the shoot entered at the hip and took out the liver, one lung and the opposite shoulder. He felt that it was a shot that he would have taken. He did say that the camera was at a different angle as is the case inalot ofhunting footage. He felt that the shot was textbook and was OK. The thing that bothered me was that I remember the guy saying that he shot at the base of the neck of the buck when it was facing away from him. I taped over the footage so I can't review it again unfortunately. Gruber said that he strives to only show fair chase and ethical hunts and that he really appreciated the fact that I was concerned about the possibility of footage showing otherwise. It was cool that he took the time to write a response back and try and clear it up. I am sure alot of them would not have done that.