Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Deer in the mountians >

Deer in the mountians

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer in the mountians

Old 09-28-2002, 11:31 PM
Spike

Default Deer in the mountians

I hunt the mountians of southeast ky. There are no fields around here. there is so much land for the deer to travel they are very hard to get up with. I was wondering if anyone hunts it this type of terrain and what they do to get up with the big bucks?
Old 09-29-2002, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer in the mountians

When deer bed in open hardwoods, it is sometimes tough to get close to them. They can bed down anywhere they feel safe so the first thing you want to look for is thicker timber that is close to some food source such as a mast crop. If areas like these are hard to find, start with some heavily used trails and follow them both directions to see to/from the deer are traveling. Be careful not to walk directly on the trails. Alot of times these trails will follow natural ridges, benches which can act as a natural funnel. You can also watch for browse lines. Browse lines are areas close to bedding areas where the deer will get up and browse along on the understory and new growth. Look for saplings and growth with the end nibbled off.

If you find the perfered mast in your area, you'll find the deer.
Watch for scat, trails, rub lines and scrapes. Tho these are simply indications that deer have once been there, they can piece together what the deer in your area are doing.

I hunt a similiar spot in one of my hunting areas. After over 10 years of hunting this spot we've pretty much narrowed the deer down to a oak ridge that not only acts as a funnel, the deer use it as a browse line and bedding area. We've successfully harvested a dozen bucks with in 100 yards of one tree.

<font color=blue>Good Luck and Good Shooting</font id=blue>

<font color=red>Rob</font id=red>
Old 09-29-2002, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Bill,

I'm in Pound V.A. on the KY/VA state line! Where are you in KY? I know what you are saying as I go through the same thing each year.

I try to find a good stand of white oaks close to bedding grounds and see what happens.

Even in the rut they still have to eat.

Our moutains are tough to get a deer nailed down but that is just a little extra challange we can enjoy.

SF

Old 09-29-2002, 08:54 PM
Spike

I live in lynch in Harlan county. I hunt on Black mountian. I go shopping in norton VA all the time. These mountian deer are tough. I have hunted 10 or 15 days without seeing a deer.