Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fixed or Mechanical?? >

Fixed or Mechanical??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fixed or Mechanical??

Old 09-04-2005, 08:13 AM

Default RE: Fixed or Mechanical??

Okay guys, I downloaded the tuning guide. And yes, it was a huge help. Thanks to all. As far as some of you guys slammin me, I'm a rookie of bowhunting. And yes, I can see how there are safety issues involved. I deal with safety issues everyday. If one of my guys screws up, they die. Plain and simple. Not because of something they did, but rather the lack of good knowledge. I'm trying to learn here guys. Like one of the guys said before, this is a place of learning. I didn't ask because I wanted you guys to see what a newb I was. I asked because I simply didn't know. I bought my Browning from a pawn shop. The sticker with all the info had been rubbed off for some reason. So I have no idea what the poundage,or draw lenght, or anything else about it is.Hell, I dont even know what type it is! And Browning is no help there. Their customer service sucks.
So anyway, thanks to all those who helped. I'll try to keep my questions a little more...advanced I guess. Thanks again.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a great place for questions and there really are some knowledgable folks around here. You just have to wade through the BS and all the PC Hunters and wannabes to get reliable info. You can imagine though tha for many here that take the sport so seriously what a shock to the system it is to see a guy trying to get his stuff together right before the season opens. We see it every seasons, the forums are slow and all of a sudden right before all the bow seasons open we get hundreds of new members asking questions that should have been asked many months ago.

Best of luck to ya and please don't be afraid to ask questions. Remember, the ONLY stupid question is the one NOT asked. Good luck and good shootin'
Old 09-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Chief, I would go to a pro shop and get your bow looked at. They can tell you the draw wt, and see how it fits you. This is a great site for info but the best thing is to try things yourself. I've shoot mechs but have shot fixed also and have gotten good flight with both. My experience has been the fixed will magnify problems such as bad form or bow out of tune. Don't get upset or quit asking questions. You should be familiar with some things before trying to take an animal. I would never shoot at an animal with any broadhead, or any firearm for that matter, without having shot it enough times to know what its characteristics were, not by what someone told me - even my best friends. Good luck and good shooting.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:27 AM

Good blood trails are more of a question about arrow placement rather than what type.In the beginning I wasn't satisfied with my blood-trails either. As I learned aboutshot angles and entrance and exit points Igot better blood-trails. Now I can usually predict how the blood-trail will look before Ishoot based on the angle the deer is giving me atany given moment. I also learned that I had to pass on some because the angle just wasn't there.

there isn't any magical broadhead out there, in general the bigger the broadhead is, the more tuning expertise is required to get them to fly right. But the potential for accuracy and good blood-trails is there with all the broadheads on the market. How accurateand what blood-trail they producewhen you shoot them totally depends on you.

shoot placement has been and always will be the key to a good bloodtrail.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the record, I swear by the Rocket Steelhead Series! These b-heads have been absolutely devastating! In fact, with better than 25 deer taken with these heads, not a single animal has taken more than 60 yards on me! They are as accurate as ANY b-head in the industry and always have 100% full size entry and exit wounds. Bloodtrails are always impressive for such a short distance and they hit and penetrate like no other b-head I've personally ever tested! They are certainly worth your time to take a very serious look at and see why they have so many fans.... they've clearly earned this respect. Check 'em out?

Old 09-04-2005, 04:26 PM

On the other hand, if you shoot field tips well and want to shoot a mechanical, why not? There are tons of hunters that screw on mechanicals every year that fly just like their field points. Use a good one. To me, the wasp jackhammer, inch and a quarter cut, would be good. Vortex makes a good head as well.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

How accurate and what blood-trail they produce when you shoot them totally depends on you.
[quote]ORIGINAL: Bees

I do not agree. I have 5 kills with a steelforce all within 5-15 yards from 16+ feet in the air. Exit woonds have been somewhat low to out the bottom and have never had more than a drop at a time. They do not go far, but 60 yards with nothing to follow could be a waste of animal. Only one shot did not take out part of the heart. There has got to be something else out there that works better(for blood trail) than the chisel point mechanical I have been using.