Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Guides Tips?

Old 08-31-2005, 12:54 AM

Default RE: Guides Tips?

If the trip was one set fee for the both of you then yes you would figure the amount from the total cost but if it was two seperate costs then you would each tip the proper amount (which still should come up the same) but as others have said if the guide sucks then there is nothing saying you can tip less, but having two buddies that guide trips if it sucks, let them know and why, because alot of the times they think they are doing a great job
Old 08-31-2005, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was in Idaho with an outfit called Shattuck Creek Outfitters. These two hunts are my only guided experience, but I watched/listened to others in camp that had been to a bunch of places for a variety of animals. One father/son team who hunt somewhere every fall, tipped $150 for the pair of them to their guide, others I don't know.

My guide last year talked about being tipped well the week before which made me a bit uncomfortable at first, then I just ignored it and wrote it off as nervous chat on the first day. Other than that we got along great and spent ALOT of time 1 on 1. It was his first year with the outfitter and I was paired with a 70 yr old retired teacher from NY who we would drop off in a stand and then take off calling. Worked out great for everyone. I had a blast with him, learned alot about elk, calling etc and man did we ever laugh! Outfitter I had requested but since I booked very late someone else had requested him as well. Fortunately it worked out so I got to spend a few days with him as well and everyone went home happy and he was there with me to celebrate my first bull! We love the place, my wife and I are going back in another year for another hunt!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:21 AM

Thanks for all the info Bob. It does sound like a great group. I hope we have similar experiences. I have never heard an elk bugle in the wild, so if I get that (which I am sure I will), the trip is a success.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

First and foremost, Good luck on your hunt. Now as for the tip, you base it on the cost of the hunt. 10% is a good rate. I film for an outdoor hunting show and have been in many Elk camps. In fact I leave next week for New Mexico to film. I have seen a bunch of guys get guilted into a tip after a guide does no work for them and says the animals are just not moving yet. Make sure that you have fun and that the guide gets out and puts you on animals. If the Elk are not cooperating, judge your guide on his work ethic and how he treats you. The other posters are correct, the outfitter already pays these guys and the tip is for good, hard work. I have seen that it is customary to tip the cook if he or she does a good job also. I gave the camp cook $50 on a Saskachewan Deer hunt a few years ago. His hot soup was a life saver after the 20 below temps. The lens on my camera froze. Just use common sense and reward good service and atmosphere. Good luck and let us know when the Elk burger barbeque is!

Virginia Mike
Old 08-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

I do not think the 10% thing is good.

So if you have 2 outfiters 10 miles apart in the same timber. The 1st one charges $5ooo and the 2nd one charges $2000 for the same thing.All the hunters in the two camps kill bulls.Do people realy think that the 1st guid should get $500 and the 2nd shound only get $200. If people realy think that. I sure do not understand why or how.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

Ask the majority of outfitters, they will tell you between 5 and 10 percent for tips. With the average being 10