Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Confused

Old 08-26-2005, 11:33 PM

Default Confused

OK so let me start by saying that im new to bowhunting and dont know all that much about it. But today while sighting in my sights, I was shooting at 10 yards, I got pretty good groups but for some reason some of them always trail way off and hit like 4-5 inches away and evertime I shoot a set of 5 they always go to a differnt spot, and no matter how I adjust my sight I cannot get it to hit dead on. Can anybody help, or do I worry too much? Thanks

Corey
Old 08-27-2005, 02:40 AM

Default RE: Confused

I would check a couple things. Is your Bow tuned,and the arrows are all fletched,spined correctly . If all are yes then what you need to do is mark you arrows, I use a permant marker and shoot your group If the same arrows flair everytime. then get rid of them or re fletch them.You may havesomebent or scraped arrows.If those check out. then check at your form You may be grapping the grip or adding some torq some where. You may even be punching the trigger on your release. If you shoot fingers your could be plucking the string and not getting a smoth release. It could be a number of thingsbut that will get you started in the right direction.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:18 AM

One thing I know a lot of folks who are new to the sport make are that if they shoot one or two groups bad they immediately move thier sights or start tweeking their bow. Each person has good days and bad. And your shooting form can change based on your physical or mental state when shooting.
First as noted above, do a paper test with some of your arrows, This is done by setting up a large piece of paper ( Newspaper works ) pulled tights between two braces of some sort. Place this set up just a couple feet in front of your target, then PReferably with a bare shaft, shoot through the paper from just 4 - 5 yard away and ensure your shafts are going stright through the paper. if there are large tears in the paper in any direction, you need to adjust your rest or knock point to the point where you are tearing only straight holes in the paper. Once this is done and you set up your sights to group well, then don't move them for a couple days of shooting. See if there is a difference in where you groups go based solely on your form and grip, verses moving the sights everytime a couplearrows are in a different place.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:30 AM

ONe of the most important things you can do is breathe easy and I am guessing you are jumping the shot and jerking a lil.Just relax and dont grip the bow let it craddle in your hand then place 1 finger and your thumb around the grip without putting preasure on your grip with your hand.Take a deep breathe and exhale slowly then release your string while still exhaling.See if this helps.I am interested to hear what it is you do that helps you the most.Also a lot of new people to bow hunting dont spend a little extra money on quality arrows.This can make a difference a huge difference.Weighed and balanced arrows are a neccesity to great grouping.Dont buy Wally World (Walmart)arrows.You get what you pay for with them.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:09 AM

Thanks Guys I will take heed to your advice today while im doing more target shooting. By the way the arrow that I bought are Gold Tip Exp. Hunter 5575. Im not sure what spined is but I had them cut to my proper length.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:21 PM

By the way while we are on the subject here are some pictures of me at full draw, any suggestions or comments about my form? Also on the last picture I have here, I noticed yesterday it was rattling, I never noticed it until yesterday so im not sure if it is supposed to rattle. It is the golden looking thing that looks like it adjusts your draw length, rattle or not? Sorry about the quality of the last pic btw.

Thanks in Advance guys!

Old 08-27-2005, 02:43 PM

Loosen your grip. You are torquing (not letting the bow flow correctly) with that grip. Cradle the bow between your thumb and your other fingers and do not grab at the bow when you shoot. If you would feel more comfortable get a wrist strap and practice by letting the bow fall out of your hand after the shot and hang by the wrist strap. You can also take all your fingers off the handle except your thumb and forefinger like mentioned above. Either way loosen your grip. If something is rattling, check to see if you can tighten with an allen wrench. That will help. Some people even use lock-tite to secure all nuts and bolts.

hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:49 PM

Sorry one more thing. If you are drawn as far back as you can pull the string, it appears to be a little short for you. Looks to me like it be about an inch longer. With fingers, a good anchor point is to hook your index finger in the corner of your mouth every time. It looks to me like you can't pull it that far back. Just keep in mind you will have to readjust some things like nock point, Peep, and sights if you make this change. I think it will help.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Could either be a form issue or the tune of your bow. If your form is slipping...dropping your bow arm, punching the release, gripping the riser too tight,etc.... then it could be causing the errant shots. On the other hand, if your bow isn't properly tuned then it could definitely lead to poor accuracy as well.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like you're shooting fingers, is that right? Hope you're not trying to shoot a prong rest or dropaway. You need a flipper rest instead, like the Cavalier Free Flyte. I like the Free Flite Micro

I'm not so sure the draw length is too short for you. Looks to me like you're leaning your head back, away from your anchor. Maybe trying to see through a peep set too high? Lean your head slightly forward instead. Then, if you're shooting fingers, pick a tooth in your upper jaw to anchor over, one that will put the arrow's nock directly under your eye. Then adjust the height of your peep to match it.

To adjust your peep, close your eyes and draw to anchor, then open your eyes. If you're not looking directly through the center of the peep, move it. You will have to move your pins to correspond to the new peep location.

And it also looks like you're canting the bow to your left. Loosening your grip would probably fix that. Not to mention you've got the 'aiming at a target on the floor' syndrome, using your arms to aim the bow. Your arms and shoulders are not in alignment.

Check those screws on your bottom cam. If the cam is rattling, then they are probably loose.

Quick Reply: Confused

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.