Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Using Peanut Butter and Vanilla??? >

Using Peanut Butter and Vanilla???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Using Peanut Butter and Vanilla???

Old 08-26-2005, 11:39 AM

Default RE: Using Peanut Butter and Vanilla???

wow ive never heard of using that but ive really never thought about it because it illegal to bait in pa but all these other guys says it works ive never know wat its like to have a deer come in on bait but u should try it if it is legal.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:39 AM

I'm using this for rail cam pics not baiting.I can't even hunt until mid November.Screwing the lid to a tree sounds like a good idea but I bought a 6lb can from Sams that has a pop off lid.Maybe I can rig something up.
Thanks for the post.
JE
Old 08-26-2005, 12:54 PM

I haven't used vanilla, but I tried the peanut butter idea. It worked great!...on squirrels. My deer just weren't very interested in it. They liked the salt lick better, and they only rarely used that.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know about deer but for fat rednecks it works GREAT. I love to walk through the woods looking for peanut butter nailed to a tree. I always take jelly, bread anda gallon of milk when I hunt just in case I find some.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:12 PM

you trying to catch mice or kill deer?
Old 08-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I LIKE TO TAKE A NYLONROPE AND TIE IT TO A SMALL STICK MAYBE 3FT LONG .... TIE IT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STICK THEN HANG IT IN A TREE ... MAKE SURE ITS ABOUT A FOOT OVER HEAD THE DEERS HEAD.... THEN PUT PEANUT BUTTER ON BOTH ENDS OF THE STICK ...IT WILL MAKE IT KIND OF HARD FOR THE DEER TO LICK IT ALL OFF BECAUSE IT WILL TEND TO SWING EVERYTIME HE LICKS IT AND THE PEANUT BUTTER WILL LAST LONGER ALSO IT WILL HELP KEEP THE COONS, POSSUMS AND ANT'S OFF OF IT ...

ROLL TIDE
DD

Old 08-26-2005, 02:52 PM

PEANUT AND VANILLA!!! DOES THAT REALLY WORKOR AR YOU JUST KIDDING ME.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

You guys seriously use peanut butter and vanilla to attract deer? Honestly, I never heard of doing it .....woodpeckers and blue jays maybe but deer? I believe you and would be interested to see how long it takes the deer to pick up on it and use it.
Deer adore peanuts , and roasted peanuts such as the ones in peanut butter are even more attractive due to their stronger flavor and scent. Most commercial peanut butters also contain corn syrup and /or molasses and salt, which are attractive to deer . Vanilla smells strongly of white oak acorns and deer love them so they come to vanilla . Hunters older than my 45 years swear by it , but my own experience has been that it mostly draws does and younger males . By attracting does during the rut period you'll naturally get some bucks to come closer too .