Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 logging my only spot >

logging my only spot

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

logging my only spot

Old 08-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default logging my only spot

where i hunt is in the planning of being logged out and what i'm wondering is will this ruin all deer hunting on the property. the farm is about 250 acres with mostly open fields and patches of woods and with the woods just being in patches and if they log them out they would be pretty thin and i'm really affraid that the deer will be gone and this is the only place i have to hunt.what do you think.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: logging my only spot

I doubt it will be completely ruined. Actually in a couple of years it will be a big buck magnet, because it will grow up thick and those guys love the thick stuff. For this year though, the deer will prolly change their patterns while its being logged, but they will still be there, you'll just have towork a little harder to findthem.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on how much timber they remove. Removing some may actually be a good thing. Removing too much will likely cause the deer to move to another location.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Will be better in the future.Nice young veggies for the deer
Old 08-25-2005, 10:10 AM

where I hunt ; I really love to see them log. that is the place I put my stands,even while they are still logging. I have taken many,many, good bucks in those areas.deer love to come into fresh logged areas.
Then next year it will be even better.if I had a chose I would like to have them log some every year just as season opens.

don't give up the area,just watch and see where they come from and set up at that edge.it doesn't take much cover to hold deer. they can bed in a spot that you would think couldn't hold a rabitt.
good luck.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:13 AM

this will also depend on if the tree`s are a food source.
we had the same situation a few years back when a lot of the white oak were taken out.
you might be able to find sign that tells you where the deer are going while the work is being done. that is how i kept an on going plan to hut during the time my land was being "ruined". i have quite a few small wood lots on the land that the deer hid out in while theremoval was going on.

PT
Old 08-25-2005, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

As the others mentioned it would depend on how much they logged, if they replanted, etc.. It could very well be a hotspot if they log and replant or leave the area open for regrowth.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depending on the food availability and the types of trees being felled, They will come in and munch on the leaves, mast, and tips, especially late in the season when food is scarce. Early on they love the taste of sweet maple leaves.And as long as they are not bothered, they will bed in those little patches.