Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bought myself a Game Camera >

Bought myself a Game Camera

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bought myself a Game Camera

Old 08-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bought myself a Game Camera

Well I couldn't stand it anymore. Looking at all of your guys' pics was driving me nuts...so I went out and got myself a camera. I decided to start smaller to see how it worked, but I think I'll be happy. I got the Game Watcher 100 Digital by Moultrie Feeders. It lookes pretty nice, especially for only $98. Once I get it in the woods I'll let you know how it works.

Does anyone else have it? If so how does it work?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bought myself a Game Camera

I'm guessing the resolution is going to be pretty bad on that. I've been totally satisfied with my film cameras. My trailtimer photohunter has been in the woods almost nonstop since I bought it4 years ago (one brief outage for repairs after a nasty raccoon attack).
I just wonder what picture quality and battery life will be like on a $90 digital cam. Let us know...
Old 08-22-2005, 01:24 PM

I'm happy with mine! The still pictures quality is fine. The 10 sec video option is cool. The quality of the video is poor, but I still think its a good deal. You will enjoy it. To me the quality is not 200 dollars worse than some of the other ones I've seen.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

How long do the batterys last? I'd love a digital, especially if it's affordable. I'm scared to add up how much i've spent on fim and developing over the years. I have a 3 foot shelf of nothing but trail cam pics one after another. ouch $$$ I'd buy a digital but I can't find a good combination of resolution and battery life (and little delay between motion and picture)
Old 08-22-2005, 05:04 PM

The cams work great for me.The game watcher just came out and it's the same as my other moultrie digital except for different buttons. You'll need to buy rechargable batteries for it because the regulars don't last half as long. Good luck and don't forget to buy a good cable with lock,you don't want someone walking off with it.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now that is the second digigamecam that I have seen on the market for under $100. I may have to invest in one of these less expensive models for next year's scouting.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:19 PM

I own two of these and will never go back to film. I just tried the video option
for the first time last week. I got a doe coming in to a mineral lick. It was a
little blurry but cool to see. Hard to beat for the price.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:41 PM

I just bought one of these cams too. I couldn't pass up a dig cam for a hundred bucks! I just set it ot 3 days ago, but I think the pic quality (in high res mode) is very good.

In the manual it says battery life is about 20 days.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:19 PM

I bought one recently also.To me the battery life is awesome.Plus you can just buy 2 of the $9 rechargeable Moultrie 6vbatterys(I believe that was the price)and a $10 dollar charger and just swap them when you go check your pics.One thing i'm not crazy about is it has no way to lock the camera to the tree,it only has a lock to keep people out of the inside of the camera.The 35mm camera I bought form Wal-Mart had a plate that you could run a cable through and lock it.What does everyone else do to lock their Moultrie camera to the tree?
Thanks,
JE
Old 08-23-2005, 02:42 AM
Typical Buck

this is my second year with a game camera. last year and part of this year i was using a 35mm stealthcam and this year i am using a Bushnell VGA digital. The first camera cost me around $70, and this new one cost about $120. Both were bought off of ebay. The 35mm are usually great quality pictures, but with most stealthcams, you get some pictures with nothing in them. The reason for this, i was told, is because the sensor is just a little bigger than the area for the camera's pictures. They say you can fix this with some tape on the outer edges. Anyways, like i said the pictures are really good quality, however, i couldnt afford to develop film once every week or so. So i bought the bushnell. So far the feature i have been most impressed with is the video mode. pretty damn good videos if you ask me. i did have some problems the first time i used the camera with night pictures, but i believe it was because of bad batteries because i havent had any lately. the find that the resolution is pretty good for the money, but i do think the sensor is lacking. i replaced the stealthcam, same tree and everything, with the bushnell and got only about 2/3 of the pictures maybe. In video mode, the batteries will go after 2-3 weeks, however, with normal pictures, and only a 1 minute delay between pics, i can keep it out there well over a month i believe. I think next season i am going to sell both and buy a digital stealthcam 2.1 megapixels, because i really like the quality of the motion detector on the stealthcams, and i found one that sells at Big R for $170. All in all, i would definately recommend the Bushnell for a beginner cam.