Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Just Bought Game Camera. Need Help!! >

Just Bought Game Camera. Need Help!!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Just Bought Game Camera. Need Help!!

Old 12-25-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Just Bought Game Camera. Need Help!!

Hey everyone,

I just bought my first game camera.Its a moultrie feeders Game Watcher.Has anyone used these or heard anything about them?Was it a good choice.The only thing i was looking for was colored pictures and decsent price and at $102 i dont think i went wrong. another thing is when i set it up how high up in the tree do i set it and how far away from bait or a deer trail should u put it? If you could help me out that would be great. thanks
Old 12-25-2003, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Just Bought Game Camera. Need Help!!

I have used several brands and best luck is about knee high off of ground and up to 30 ft w/good back ground and not faceing east sun affects most ,good luck.it's a blast getting the pics. hardest part waiting to get them backI like 400 film or next highest
Old 12-25-2003, 08:41 PM

Hey thanks yogi. ill be setting up the camera tommorrow and when i get some pics i will psot them.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try to face your camera either north or south to get it out of the direct sun in the early morning and late evening hours, Also some cameras if they are scanning a field or large open area the heat generating from the ground will trigger them, I aim mine down just a bit so they are not scanning a flat plane across an open area and pull all the tall weeds and bushes that are close to the camera, that helps in not getting blank pictures.. I have mine on a feeder most of the time within about 15 foot, And keep good batteries in it and you will really like it, after awhile you will quit the 1 hour developing and be able to wait a day or 2 on your film being developed . They are alot of fun, especially during the off season and preparing for a seasons hunt. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

Most game cameras sensors are supposed to be effective out to 60 feet, But this would be under ideal conditions. Remember that they detect the temprature difference from the outside air and the animals body. So if its cold say 30 degrees its range will be far greater than if its 90 degrees because your only talking about a few degree temp from 90 to a deer body temp of roughly 96. Ny guess is that at 90 you might only have a 10 foot effective range. go to jesses hunting page under gear reviews they list numerous cameras with there specs plus reviews from owners and some helpful hints. Enjoy!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have one, had a few problems with it in the beginning. first of all it kept shutting off by itself, then it kept showing low battery level, finally played around with it and got it to work ok. set it to take a picture every six minutes and make sure the aim light is off and turn the camera on for sure. first couple of times i used it, kept getting blank film, discovered that the flash would not reach out as far as it said it would, so i moved the camera closer to the feeder (8 feet) and about 2 1/2 foot off the ground, it worked just fine then. I have not tried it in real cold weather yet. hope this helps some.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:54 AM

Hey thanks for the tips but one more thing, it says in the manual do not use in freezing conditons. i live in Maine and with the exception of the last couple of days it doesnt usually get above freezing in december or january....does this mean i have to pack it up until next spring?
Old 12-26-2003, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

I don't have a moultree but two trailtimers and leave them out until late jan. or feb. even in below zero, until deer start shedding antlers and mine seem to work will. in these cold temps if you can find them lithium batteries will last a lot longer in the camera for the unit itself I use the Duracell ultras (use these in the camera also if can't find lithium) and even in below freezing can get two months of life
Old 12-26-2003, 11:03 AM

As far as how far away you put it, I like it about 8-10 feet. The deer on my film dont seem to care at all. They come back again and again. As far as the temp. thing, you might try insulating it with some kind of foam or padding or something. I live in GA so I dont really have to worry about the temp. too much. Hope this helps a little. And rememer not to put it too low on the ground or too sensitive, you'll get squirrels and stuff like that. I get armadillos.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:01 PM

Is baiting deer to your camera a good idea? or does it just defeat the purpose of seeing deer in there natural habitat doing there natural things lol. if not then what kind of bait is best used

Quick Reply: Just Bought Game Camera. Need Help!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.