HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Maine Bear Hunting
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 07:50 PM
MR.D
Fork Horn

Default RE: Maine Bear Hunting

I hunted up Maine a few years ago with an outfitter. I would say that scent control would be my prioity over camo type.
They have anincredible sense of smell and like said before will often circle the bait checking the wind for any human scent.
If I were to go again I would rub or soak my hunting clothes in the bait that the guide is using. It is usually sweet stuff like cerealls and junk type cakes and donuts.
In our party of 12 we got 9 bear. Everyone except me and my 2 buddies.
You know what the common denominator was? The 3 of us were driven by the same guide in the same truck with a severe oil leak and exhaust problem foralmost twohours to our hunting spot. One local that was teamed up with us decided to follow with his own vehicle and ended up seeing 3 bear and took a nice one. Neither me nor my two buddies ever saw a bear the entire week of hunting. We are seasoned veteran hunters with many kills and experience behind us. We begged the outfitter to let our guide switch vehicles, but he would not comply. Needless to say that was our last trip to that outfitter (Stony Brook Lodge) Outfitter Bob Parker