Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Huntin in elk country??? >

Huntin in elk country???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Huntin in elk country???

Old 08-19-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Huntin in elk country???

For those of you that bowhunt in elk country, do you feel the need to carry a handgun? Is it even legal?
My buddy and I want to go elk huntin one day, but he is VERY concerned about bears and big cats. I told him I didn't think it was legal to carry during bow season. Anyone have any info I can tell him to calm his concern or any info at all on this subject.
Neither of us has ever hunted this type of country so we don't know which rumors to believe or not to believe.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Huntin in elk country???

In Idaho, we can carry a pistol. We just can't finish the animal off with it. I have ran into many cats and bears and never had a pistol with me. The biggest concerm I would have in your case, is to make sure that the transportation of the pistol to another state is within the legal boundaries. Ifnot and you need peace of mind. Get a canister of pepper spray...........
Old 08-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pack a pistol and a can of bear spray. I carry the bear spray for a bear encounter that may be possible and I pack a pistol in case I happen along something that I shouldn't of seen or be in a place where I surprised an individual doing something they shouldn't. I would be more concerned with that 2 legged creature in the bush rather than a bear encounter.
Bobby
Old 08-19-2005, 09:38 PM

In the state of Montana you can carry a side arm while bowhunting. You can keep it in your back pack or anyplace else and it is legal. Only in city limits is it illegal to carry concealed w/o permit, which means that in 99.6% of Montana, it is not illegal to carry a concealed weapon. Also, a weapon is only considered concealed, if it is concealed by wearing apparel, whick means you can even carry in city limits if its not concealed by what your wearing,.