Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Great episode of Mossy Oaks Huntin the Country >

Great episode of Mossy Oaks Huntin the Country

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Great episode of Mossy Oaks Huntin the Country

Old 08-23-2006, 04:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default Great episode of Mossy Oaks Huntin the Country

Last night on the Outdoor channel I caught the last 15 minutes of a great episode of Mossy Oaks Huntin the Country.

It was Ronnie "Cuz" Strickland huntin with a guy and I'm not even sure where or what the story was since I missed the first few minutes.

Anyway...They were talking about being very passionate about just shooting a nice buck and about how the fella he was with hasn't shot a buck in 15 years! (It sucks to be him)
But right before the sun went down a modest 8 point came out and that guy took him and they went crazy!! (Here comes the good part)

"Cuz" spent the next few minutes talking about the subject of
"What is a trophy?"
He said some people think a trophy buck has to be a 200" deer but that's not true at all, Any buck thatyou work hard for and take legally is a trophy in my opinion, he said.
And then a quote from "Cuz" that I will probably never forget:
"After a hunt,the trophy isn't what's hangin on your wall, it's what's in your heart"
WOW!

It was quite refreshing IMO to watch an episode that was about the joys of hunting and not how many inches the end result was!!

Happy hunting!
Old 08-23-2006, 05:11 AM

Default RE: Great episode of Mossy Oaks Huntin the Country

i never seen the show but it is a nice refresher that its not all about the size of antlers ..... more shows should be broadcasting/adverstising the true sport of hunting and all the good things that go with it instead of just how big the antlers are. yes it is/would be nice if we all could get a trophy every time but hey........this is the REAL world and it just doesn't happen.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

Also caught the show, and it was indeed good to see them happy and talking about what a true trophy is.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

I missed that show unfortunately, but Cuz is right on the money. A trophy may be a doe or a spike. It all depends on the person. If I am lucky enough to take a doe with my bow this year, then it will be a trophy to me.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, agreed.

I'm nationally sponsored, have taken more than a couple book bucks, and I hunted my fool heart out with one specific goal in mind at the end of last season: An old, cagey and wiley matriarchal doe. We played peek-a-boo with each other, and I moved stand locations several times times trying to nail her,as Iknew exactly whereshe was bedding.I couldn't pull it off before she finally changed her whole pattern.

I would have been as proud of that old doe as I am any of them hanging from my walls.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

I think I caught that show man. The one that the dude had the back problems that messed his hunting up? His dad was on there telling about him. He hunted for 17 years without a deer but never give up. then his back messed up badly and he could barely get around but he still hunted. it was a touching story to say the least. Bout made me cry man. Im glad that ole boy got him a buck.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:07 AM
Fork Horn

I SAW THAT EPISODE AND THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. ENJOYING THE ENTIRE EXPERIENCE OF A HUNT IS SOMETHING THAT IS OFTEN MISSED BY MANY HUNTING SHOWS. I SEEM TO ENJOY HUNTING MORE NOW THAT MYKIDS (4 &5) ARE INVOLVED THAN WHEN I WAS IN SEARCH OF THE BIG RACK.IT'S ALL IN THE MEMORIES THAT ARE MADE AND NOT IN THE NUMBER OF INCHES OF BONE ON THE HEAD. ONE MY MOST MEMORABLE HUNTS WAS ONE WHERE I SHOT A BASKET RACK 8 POINT WITH MY BROTHER IN LAW. THE DAY I SHOT THAT DEERIT WAS A "TROPHY".
Old 08-28-2006, 09:02 AM

Over the years my trophys have varied to in 97' i hunted 3 wks of bow season every day didnt see a deer, during black powder i rattled in a little fork, i shot that deer and had tears in my eyes knowing how hard i worked just to see a deer. Two years later i was hunting with my dad first time in a couple years opening day we both took small bucks my of course smaller. Those three deer were in my eyes trophys. since then i have found better land and have past several 130 140 class deer, i guess cause its not about what i kill its just about the hunt. just my opionion.