Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

draw weight ??

Old 08-19-2005, 07:47 AM

Default draw weight ??

i know this question was up last year but i am debating letting my bow off to 63-65 lb. it is currently at 67 and i shoot good some but then i get to shooting left on a consistant basis some 67 isn't hard to pull but after 10-12 shots i don't hold near as steady and start shooting left 2-4 inches so i am thinking of backing it off some and trying that. so should i practice more and build up stamina and keep the speed or back it off?? how much speed would you loose??
Old 08-19-2005, 07:56 AM

Default RE: draw weight ??

One thing I can tell you is that if you can't draw your bow back and keep it steady, I don't care if you are shooting Elk, you will not be as stealthy. Your better off shooting 60 or so pounds and driving nails at 40 than pulling 67 and not hitting very well at that range or even closer. And 60 pounds is plenty to take big animals like Elk at even 40-50 yards with the right broadhead. Shoot the poundage that is the most comfortable to you, and you shoot well.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I think it is good to keep practicing but if after several shots you are falling off then your form must be affected by the strain of holding as you get tired. Going from 67 to 63 isn't that much of a drop and I would lower the poundage and re sight the bow and practice until you can shoot the same shot after shot within reason. Then you can slowly up the poundage. Remember that shooting at a target in summer weather is different than sitting for several hours in a tree stand and then having to take 1 shot when you are cold, cramped from non movement and need to get the shot right. Less poundage is usually better for this to happen as planned. Once I practiced almost all summer and when the shot opportunity came I was real cold and had to crouch to shoot under a limb. I had a real difficult time pulling the bow back and the next day I lowered my poundage by 5 pounds and re sighted the bow. For the record...I missed
Old 08-19-2005, 08:26 AM

great advice, in the past i have hunted at 62-63 lbs and i think i could hold that all day as well as in odd positions. most of your shot are within 30 yards so it makes since to me to back it off a to 62 and be driving tacks.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:49 AM

Like others have said, if you can't hold your bow steady, you need to draw less weight. I shoot 63#, and can hold it steady for awhile. Also, your total set up (arrow, broadhead...) is more important. If your bow if tuned correctly, you could take a deer shooting 50#!!
Old 08-20-2005, 06:49 PM

i shoot 55lbs works great
Old 08-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I definitely would think that less weight is in order. A draw weight that is too heavy does nothing but promote poor shooting form. In the end you are only hurting yourself. Drop the weight. You won't regret it.