Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whitetail Trivia...... >

Whitetail Trivia......

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whitetail Trivia......

Old 08-18-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Whitetail Trivia......

Will a deer travel half a mile to drink from a running creek or will it travel 200yds to drink from a small secluded pond?

Keeping in mind there is safe travel to both areas. The running creek water is cooler and cleaner.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:06 PM

Default RE: Whitetail Trivia......

The closer pond. The less they have to move, the less chance of being detected by predators.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:39 AM

Come on guys, I'm looking for suggestions..... I don't know the answer either.... But my secluded pond is missing the sign I would expect to see......... I'm leaning towards the creek or there is hidden spring that I am unaware of..... More scounting is needed......
Old 08-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Is the pond in the open like in a field or clearing and is the stream in a wooded area? If that is the case then the deer probably drinks as it moves through the woods from feeding area to bedding area. I bet he sleeps close to the brook in a thick area.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ever notice "where" a deer drinks water before? I like to hunt over creek crossings, but they usually don't drink there! I wonder if they are like sheep? Sheep will not drink from moving water, never, ever! I have seen deer drink from the creek, but it was at a spot where some beaver dams made a still area. I have to go with the pond on this question. Let us know what you find out!!! Thanks.
Trae
Old 08-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

To be honest I really never gave it much thought. But my best guess is that the deer don`t give it much thought as long as there is water somewhere near by where they are when there thursty. I have and I know everyone else has to? Found crossing on creek banks and also found tons of deer tracks around lakes and ponds.Personally I think they will not walk one foot further than they have to.(imo).
Old 08-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

Come on guys, I'm looking for suggestions..... I don't know the answer either.... But my secluded pond is missing the sign I would expect to see......... I'm leaning towards the creek or there is hidden spring that I am unaware of..... More scounting is needed......
i would bet that the deer are using the pond. but there is a good chance that there is another spring or pond that you don't know about. i've had that happen before. just get out there and look around in places you've never been before.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

WELL ,I have been thinking , Remarkable. I have lived on a farm or in the country all my life. Spend a thousands ofhours a year Scouting and hunting THE PAST 57 YEARS. YOU KNOWWHAT I never seen a deer ever drink water. I seen tracks around the farm pond and of course popular creek crossing.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would tend to believe that deer drink at spots along their normal travel patterns...not that they go out of their way to find a place to drink water. I would look for places along the creek that deer trails cross it and then plan from there.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:38 PM

What ever they are closest to at time of need. I have seen them drink out smallpuddles when a better water source is not far away.
www.pbase.com/mlo3135127

Quick Reply: Whitetail Trivia......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.