Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Close but no cigar! >

Close but no cigar!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Close but no cigar!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Close but no cigar!

Just got back from my first hunt of the year. It was unbeleivably hot and humid--hunted in S Carolina near the coast. I had a nice 8 point in bowrange, but he never gave me a good shot. i estimate(conservatively) him to have been 115-120". I would have been happy with him as the deer here are not known for being tremendous. It was frustrating to endure the heat and get so close without getting the shot, but I was happy to be hunting and enjoyed seeing a nice buck and a few others at a time of year that is tough. I will return in 10 days and hopefully he'll give me, or maybe one of his bigger brothers, will give me a second oppurtunity.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:51 PM

Default RE: Close but no cigar!

Persistence will get the job done! It sounds like you got that basis covered.Good luck to you!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:19 PM

hey shoot, at least you seen something. up here in my area the heat would have made a difference in a chance of earlymovement.

i can`t wait to get out there,even if it is hot here also.
there`s alwas water holes.

PT
Old 08-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

I'd have been happy to see a deer too.I was out all day over by Andrews and the only thing I saw all day was a squirrel and a rabbit.It was VERY hot. Where were you hunting?
Old 08-18-2005, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man im so jealous that your season has started, only three weeks for me, cant wait.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: WrackMaster

I'd have been happy to see a deer too.I was out all day over by Andrews and the only thing I saw all day was a squirrel and a rabbit.It was VERY hot. Where were you hunting?
I was hunting near Ridgeland in a small community called Switzerland, believe it or not. I have permission to hunt some private land--only a coupkle hundred acres, but it is a perfect funnel in between a pine plantation and a swamp.Andrews is where? I know I've heard of it. Isn't it in Williamsburg county near Kingstree? I used to live in Hemingway and went there in high school.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well done manuman. Many hunters would have taken a questionable shot just to try for that deer. It's great to hear from hunters that have the discipline to hold off if the game doesn't offer the shot your need to make a clean, humane kill. Hats off to you manuman, I bet you'll get a shot at a bigger one the next time you venture out.
Good Hunting...
Old 08-18-2005, 04:54 PM

I sure hope you're right! I'll be expecting a B&C nontypical then!
Old 08-18-2005, 06:05 PM

Glad to see someone is hunting. I have to wait till Oct 1st. Not sure
I could stand this heat right now though. Good luck!
Old 08-18-2005, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wish you luck though I cannot imagine what it would be like to hunt in such warm weather. It must assuredly be a test of your resolve and dedication. But, if the bucks are as nice as you described then maybe I understand.

Quick Reply: Close but no cigar!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.