Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
What to do if deer blows at you? >

What to do if deer blows at you?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do if deer blows at you?

Old 09-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What to do if deer blows at you?

Last season I was busted by three does while ground hunting. Not even 20 minutes later they were back. So if you're busted just hang tight and they might be back. If not, other deer might come by.

God bless,
Brandan

Old 09-26-2002, 09:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've heard of deer blowing at a number of things, not just humans. People have told me of deer blowing at foxes, coyotes, all sorts of stuff that either startled them or had them confused. I think deer are more used to hearing other deer blow than we think, and it doesn't mean they won't be back in the area within an hour or so.

Discipline -- not desire -- determines destiny.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:02 PM

Blow back,if they haven't winded you they will think you're a deer.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:53 AM
Typical Buck

Your hunt is definately not over. I have had deet spook, and within 10 minutes had more deer come under my stand.

A bad day of hunting beats a good day of work!
Old 09-27-2002, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Buy it dinner.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:11 AM

Ok, I could be wrond but I do believe that the reason for blowing is to identify what has alerted them. In other words they are cleaning mucus from their nasal passages and sinus to get a better sniff of what they originally smelled. It is not a warning sign to other deer but the stomp is. When you see the flag that means once they had a clean sniffer they caught wind of you for sure. Deer tend to give things a couple of chances before they run back the way they came. If they see you once they freeze but if they don't see you again they tend to go about their business. Same goes for scent, if they think they smell something funny they freeze and get a better nose full and if they do get a good dose of human at that point they hit the ground running (although only a few yards so they can circle around you). I know you all understand this but I feel the need to reinforce it. Deer are LAZY. They hate finding new ways to get from A to B so you can assume that if a deer is spooked it is simply passing you on one side or another just out of range (this is especially true in the thickets I hunt in NY). Basically, Tealboy just hang tight and chances are you might get an opportunity to wack the one that blew or some of his/her buddies that are on their way because of their overwhelming curiosity. Hope I helped some....

Hunting is like life. You plan and practice thinking everything is just right and suddenly the wind shifts directions and it's all over.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:20 AM

Cyclone... "Buy it dinner."

Too funny! I would concure.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:53 AM

I thought that you had to buy dinner first..........

"Vegetarian" - also translated as "Bad Hunter"!!
Old 09-27-2002, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

I was sitting on the ground Tuesday evening when I had a deer blow at me. She turned and began to vacate the area. My hunting partner used his wheeze/snort call and blew back at her. She setteled down and came right back. I never did get a shot, but she did settle down and come back, so I would blow back at her.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are two types of snorts. One is the short "blast" that is immediately followed by every deer in the vicinity quickly kicking it into high gear and leaving the area at a high rate of fuel consumption. The other is a series of snorts that is more of a questioning "who are you" snort. The deer isn't sure of who or what is there and that is why it hasn't spooked . . . yet. In this case, any type of deer call can be reassuring to the deer that made the sound and can result in shot opportunities. Stomping the feet leaves a fear scent on the ground that usually will alert and scare off any deer that approach for hours afterward. Any deer with-in 10 yards of that spot will smell it and quickly leave the area.

Today's small bucks are tomorrow's trophies.

Quick Reply: What to do if deer blows at you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.