Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Hunter's View climbers? >

Hunter's View climbers?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunter's View climbers?

Old 09-26-2002, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunter's View climbers?

This year, Dick's is offering 2 climbers manufactured by Hunter's View. From my viewpoint, they're nearly identical except for material used--one is a few pounds heavier and costs about $50.00 less. Both are similar to the ol' man stands without the pivoting arms. My current stand isn't a day long stand so I've been holding out for years in getting a super comfortable stand and this one may actually accomplish that AND fit my budget. What I don't know is if it is actually comfortable and noise-free. Does anyone have any experience with this stand?
Old 09-26-2002, 08:55 PM

Default RE: Hunter's View climbers?

DaveH,
I have had one of their climbers for 2.5 yrs. and could not more impressed. very quiet,easy to setup in the dark and sticks to trees like glue.very comfortable (I do alot of napping). Mine weighs 35 pounds and i have no problems with the weight. I only weigh 135 and not a problem,and i was on a small budget also. I think you would be very happy with a hunters view climber and remember to use it a few times before you go hunting to get aquainted with it.Be safe and happy hunting.
Old 09-27-2002, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

DaveH, Hunter's View makes great (affordable) stands and ladders, but they haven't quite perfected the climber. Had one last year and nearly had a serious accident. Just a few weeks into last year's season I was about 12 feet up a tree (and still climbing) when the foot straps broke on me. I was able to recover and get down safely, but the thought of never being able to have children crossed my mind. This may be an isolated incident, but the stand did look a little cheap. So, I bought a Summit Viper for this year and couldn't be happier. It is much lighter and grasps the tree better than the Hunter's View model. Safety and performance (and my life) is worth an extra $150 in my book. Like I said, Hunter's View has some great products, but the climber I bought last year didn't work out for me.
Good luck to ya!
Old 09-27-2002, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dave,

I just picked up a Summit, also from Dick's. I actually tried a few of the various models, including the Hunter's View climbers. I found them to be a bit more noisy setting up, as they require pins. The Suimmit has a patented snake-like cable system.

Sitting in the stands, I chose the Summit Viper. The smaller Summit I also liked better (I believe the Bushmaster, a hand climber with no front bar) than the HVs (for about $50 more), but the wife actually TOLD me to buy the better model---she looked at it as a 15 year investment. I tended to agree, and chose the Summit for $239. If you can swing it, I think the added comfort and quietness of the Summit will make up for the added cost, especially in the longrun. The Summit's harness is also much more comfortable.

AND, if your a little conscientious like me, the clincher was when I examined the side of the box...Summit's box read, "Proudly Made in the USA"---the Hunter's View box read, "Made in China"---VERY easy decision after that discovery...

S&R

Old 09-27-2002, 09:25 AM
Typical Buck

My friend had the Hunter View climber and his foot straps also broke while he was climbing. I also would reccommend Summit stands. I got my Summitt Viper for $189 and free shipping from Natchez Shooters Supply. You may want to check their website, they may still have that sale going on.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys for the replies so far. I've been mulling over adding a comfortable climber to my assortment of stands for years. A few years ago, I could've bought a really nice summit for $129.00, but I had my heart set on the ol' man--which I also didn't buy! I guess I was waiting for the prices to get high enough!