Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practicing with your bow >

Practicing with your bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practicing with your bow

Old 08-12-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Practicing with your bow

I have heard a lot of different ways people practice with their bow. How many arrows do you typically shoot a day? Do you practice sitting down? I've heard that a lot of people practice standing up so when they sit in a tree stand it's really different to them. I maybe shoot three groups of three arrows with just the focus on the first arrow and I sit down doing it.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Practicing with your bow

I shoot about 50-100 arrows, when I practice. I shoot standing, and when I see a deer, while I'm in a stand I stand up to shoot.

Might just be the picture but it looks like your nock point is way high.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a firm believer that you should practice all sorts of different positions while shooting your bow. Any bowhunter should know that everything isn't always going to be set up for the perfect standing broadside shot. Don't hesitate to set up your treestand and shoot from there. Also, kneeling, sitting, bending around a tree, anything. Your sites will change and you need to be used to these changes or you might end up with an injured animal. As far as how many arrows to shoot per day.... well alot of that depends on how you are shooting that day. If you are having a bad day and you keep practicing wrong, you will end up forming bad habits that will hinder you later. Shoot until you are starting to mess up. Take a rest and shoot again a little while later. If you continue to mess up, take a longer break. How many arrows anyone shoots should depend on their personal limits.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mix up my practice. Some standing, sitting, kneeling, etc. I tend to hunt from the ground quite a bit during the season so I feel it's best for me to practice fordifferent scenarios.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:13 PM

Well let's see...

I only practice once a week, saturday mornings.

I shoot ten 3 arrow groups at each yardage that I have my pins set.

I have my pins set at 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 yards.

So that's right around 150 arrows per week.

Occasionally I'll shoot from a stand or out of a ground blind.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hikchick

I am a firm believer that you should practice all sorts of different positions while shooting your bow. Any bowhunter should know that everything isn't always going to be set up for the perfect standing broadside shot. Don't hesitate to set up your treestand and shoot from there. Also, kneeling, sitting, bending around a tree, anything. Your sites will change and you need to be used to these changes or you might end up with an injured animal. As far as how many arrows to shoot per day.... well alot of that depends on how you are shooting that day. If you are having a bad day and you keep practicing wrong, you will end up forming bad habits that will hinder you later. Shoot until you are starting to mess up. Take a rest and shoot again a little while later. If you continue to mess up, take a longer break. How many arrows anyone shoots should depend on their personal limits.
Very wisely spoken (typed).....

I do much of the same thing, around 70-100 arrows a day....
Old 08-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

For most of the year my practice consists of shooting down at the local range. 20 yard shots on average and from the standing position. Now that the season is getting closer I shoot different distances and many times from the elevated position off the top of my deck.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:11 PM

I try to shoot about 30-50 arrows everyother day. On the off days, I shoot 1 arrow. The 30-50 I shoot are all that is needed to keep on target. Now, that's not to say that somedays I feel like shooting more. Somedays I shoot as many as 300, but not very often. As season gets closer, I shoot from stands, blinds, sitting, standing, with all my hunting gear on, whatever I can do to mix it up. Works for me anyway.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:08 AM

Usually around 20 to 30 a day. If the wife is out then we do get into a heated game of tic tac toe every once in awhile.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot at least 20 arrows every day and at least 100 arrows once a week. A few weeks before the season opens, I get away from shooting targets, stick some judo points on my arrows and go stump shooting while doing my scouting. I think the best way to learn to shoot accurately in the woods is by getting out and shooting in the woods.

Quick Reply: Practicing with your bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.