Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Here's a question for you!!! >

Here's a question for you!!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Here's a question for you!!!

Old 08-11-2005, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Here's a question for you!!!

Twotypes -meat hunters and trophy huntersto each his/her own, keep the friendship intact don't push the issue upon him. JMO
Old 08-11-2005, 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: VaSavage270

Twotypes -meat hunters and trophy hunters
There is a lot of grey area in between those two ends of the spectrum IMO.

As long as what he is doing is legal and safe........it's really none of your business. You can/shoud and sounds like you did discuss it as friends and hunting partners so both your viewpoints are out in the open and that is all you can do. What he does in the woods is up to him and no one else. Unless it is your land.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dough boy

WV/Hunter-
Actually, my friend lives in SE Indiana. I have hunted with him for 12 years. I live in SW Ohio and SE Indiana is only 25 minutes away. To answer your question.....Ohio AND Indiana are 1 buck states. If he shoots a spike he will have one of his kids check it in for him. I don't agree with this either, but it doesn't matter. I guess this could question his ethics huh??? I only purchase an archery license (the NR price for IN. is $120.75 PER season!!) So I try and wait on a buck, but if it comes to it, I will take a doe, which I did last year. He will not listen to me, nor do I think he will care about the research in D&DH. I think I will hunt more in OH this year anyway, but I still plan on hunting in IN. I am sure he has his reasons(meat for the family, thinning the herd...), but it still is hard to accept!!!
doughboy...I wouldn't worry too much about it then. Just go out and have fun. Don't ruin your friendship over it...there are plenty of deer out there. Sounds like he's gonna do what he wants anyhow, and is not very open minded anyhow. Probably the only way he will change his mind, is when he sees you consistently shoot bigger deer than him(after passing up small ones), and he's still shooting spikes. I actually had this happen with a guy in our club. Good luck

Old 08-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/tips/s/c..._equation.html

"There are few issues that have created more controversy than the culling of spikes. While we still do not have the definitive answer, results of our study should increase our understanding of antler growth in free-ranging whitetails. At this point, it appears that culling of yearling deer, no matter what they produce as their first set of antlers, may not be a good idea."
Old 08-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

A spike CAN become an impressive racked buck. I read an article on it in Deer and DeerHunting a few years back, and they have penned spikes that turned out to be big racked bucks. Also, there are some spikes that have inferior genes. My understanding is that the spikes who will always have a poor rack are far fewer in number than spikes who can grow bigger racks.

Your friend wants to let small bucks walk, but will shoot spikes because he doesn't think they will ever grow to be big bucks. Therefore, you need to educate him that this is not necessarily true. It isn't like he said he just wants to shoot something legal, and a spike is legal. He WANTS to practice QDM, and needs to be informed of the facts on spikes so that he can better get where he wants to go.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:59 AM

I hear ya WV. He is going to do what he wants to do, regardless of what I say. I know some of his other buddies will "rib" him if he kills a spike and shows it to them. Oh well....like I said earlier.....I plan on hunting in Ohio a lot more this year!!! Another concern of mine is what is he teaching his kids by doing this?? I have 2 boys (9 and 3), who are REALLY interested in hunting. I am not saying I am "holier than thou", but I want my kids to know the importance of letting the small ones go. Then someday maybe they will have a chance to get a big one. I guess it goes back to what I think is important for me to teach my kids.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:05 PM
Site Bouncer

dough boy,

There are alot of variables that come into play when trying to determine if a spike willgrow to be a trophy. Some will and some won't. You can start by observing the type of deer that are in your area. If you see alot of mature bucks with big racks then it is possible the spike is just a late born deer. If you see alot of older spikes or older split horn deer (Y antlers with no brow tines) then it might be safe to say he will never grow that trophy rack. Another is the food, have the deer been eating good through the winter?

Three things determine a deers anlter size and shape. 1. Genetics, 2. Food (how much and quality) and 3. Age

Don't let it bother you too much, enjoy your hunting buddy and be happy for him no matter what hehappens to shoot.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Spikes will grow more antlers if given the chance. Last year I passed on two spike bucks that will grow to get bigger. I would tell my friend he can't hunt if he would shoot a spike buck.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:37 PM

A spike buck is older than a yearling, but not 2 years old yet. He was a late fawn of the spring before, so the spike is his first rack.
What I mean is this. MOST does are bred in November, their fawns born say in June. Well, a spiker's mom was bred say in late December early January, so he wasn't born till say late July early August. He wasn't able to grow a "rack" the year he was born, so the spike is, for all intent and purposes here, the same as a button buck. We all know that a button can grow a big rack, and so can a spiker.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:15 PM

Antler growth depends on many factors. I have stated my own deer farm
For sent collecting. I also In the upcomming years will have whitetails for sale. Many of the amish people in my area are also getting into deer farming. I have read many articles on anter growth, some I agree some I dont.

Here is a good one I came accross.

http://pabucks.com/deerantlers.html