Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME ! >

Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME !

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME !

Old 07-28-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME !

Hey All ,
Welp I Got a Freakin Problem ! Its bad too.
I've got a fear too walk into Public Huntin lands in the Dark , i think something is gonna Pop out and Kill me or Eat me and no one will ever find out ! But like on Private Land I dont have a problem too walk-in in the Dark ! Also I got a problem think i'm gonna roll up on a crazy Yahoo Killer in the woods that will shoot me cause i'm in his Hunting Spot , also them Bears get me going too ! Can anyone Help me out on this Tiny Problem ? And Did you / or do you still get the creeps walkin in dark too your hunting Spot ?
Thanks Alot ,
LungBuster101

Call Me a Chicken But you could really Walk up on a Crazy Yahoo nows Days that will shoot you rather than look at you !Its Happened !
Old 07-28-2005, 02:57 PM

Default RE: Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME !

well the last big story of a crazy yahoo shooting people up happened on private land. As far as walking into public land in the dark.............use a flashlight, deer don't have an opposable thumb or access to a Wal-Mart so people generally don't shoot at lights.

Seriously, don't be worried about walking in, its walking around during daylight that should scare you.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:18 PM

I wouldn't be so scared of crazy yahoos as I would be someone who's thinking they're going to take down a big buck before or after legal shooting hours when they can't tell the difference between the deer and you. I hunt on private land that borders many other private parcels where others hunt. Even though I am supposed to be the only one hunting the land I do, I believe there's a chance there's someone ther in a stand that isn't supposed to be and might mistake mefor a deer. SoI always blink my flashlight on and offon the way to my stand and when leaving it when its very dark. I'd rather spook a deer than get shot. By the way, I don't think the light would spook them but rather make them curious. And they likely hear and /or see you anyways if you're moving on the ground.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

I try to be the first guy in the woods, and I always have a knife ready in case of an emergency. I just get myself pumped about whats going to happen once I get in the stand and BUCKZILLA walks by.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I think I am the top of the food chain out there and if I am armed, The only equal I have is another armed person , not an animal. Keep it loaded, keep it safe and always keep it handy. Just in case.............................................. ......
Old 07-28-2005, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your propbably young and there is nothing wrong with being scared or feeling a little creepy heading to your stand. Some of them schreech owls can make noises that will make the hair on your neck stand up. Usually when you run into someone in the woods it's your brother. I mean a like minded individual who likes the same thing as you do. Find you a hunting buddy and pick spots about 1or 2 hundred yds apart. I just walk in there like I am the baddest S.O.B in the woods and if any body wants to ruin my day of hunting God help em!! And if all else fails RUN!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good lord.......

If you get too scared just cover your eyes with your skirt......but if things get really hairy just flail wildly with your purse, that should do the trick.
If you still can't take it, just crawl into the fetal position and sob softly until it's light enough to see where you threw your purse.

Now if your worried about some knucklehead shooting you in the dark by mistake, just make sure you have some sort of flashlight on (Those LED stylus lights are great).

Otherwise, suck it up.........there's no crying in hunting.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Ouch, Matt. Kinda rough. But I like your style.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:59 PM

Lets put it this way, if your time is up your time is up. We are all going to go somehow and if walking in the dark woods is the way I am going to go so be it. At least I went doing something I love to do...
Old 07-28-2005, 07:13 PM

Heck I've had that problem on private land. Let's face it, things can be pretty spooky in any woods. Near the 80 I own is an old farmstead with an abandoned burned out log home. It's just on the other side of the hill from where I camp out at night during deer season and it just creeps me out. It looks like they just up and left since everything is still in place. Dishes, coffee cans, cookware, clothes, bedding, kids toys, everything. Someone must have fallen asleep while smoking because one bedroom is completly burned out and has a huge hole in the outside wall. That must have been the cause to abandon it. Every single critter that moves at night is out there making all sorts of noises that are impossible to identify. The 40 acres that surround it is choked off with every sort of thorn infested week you can imagine and during the summer is next to imposible to move through. Even during the winter it's almost an impenatrable mess.
I'm not kidding when I say that if there ever was a place that was haunted this would be it.

Quick Reply: Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.